Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Privacy of Wedding Photos in todays Computer Age

2»

Re: Privacy of Wedding Photos in todays Computer Age

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In my opinion, it is SUPER RUDE to put a note on the programs asking people not to do anything, especially take pictures, which is something people do because they are happy for the couple and want to share that happiness with other people.
  • Options
    MJH184MJH184 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your privacy is something that obviously means a lot to you, which is understandable. As someone who had specific requests at my wedding, I can tell you that a number of people will still do what they want. In your case, take pictures in order to document how much fun they had at your wedding, and may want to share them with others, which is their right. 

I agree that putting something requesting not posting pictures on the internet on your program may come off as tacky and humorous to some of your guests. One idea that you may or may not choose to use would be to write on your program, that there be no photography during your ceremony. I think people are more likely to respect this wish, and will understand it more. Most pictures taken at your reception will be of your guests and their friends/group, and few will actually have you in them.

I hope this helps.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    nepanewnepanew member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay.... So there's a lot of back and forth about privacy. It's really up to the FB user to select their own settings, and others unfortunately cannot be controlled, I've been there. :( 
    My post is more about saving other people's photos to your computer. 
    For those of you who want to save FB images that others post to add to your collection of photos from your big day, I strongly recommend asking the people who post them to send you the original files or host them on a reputable photo site like shutterfly or snapfish. That way, you can order full quality images, rather than the condensed lowered quality ones converted for websites. Also, give credit where credit is due, state who took the photo, be it the professional or your grandma.

• Options
    ajwendorfajwendorf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually, I had the same concerns.  I know that I'm selective about who I "friend" on Facebook, but not everyone is, and I'd rather that the photos of my wedding, the most personal day of my life to date, are not put up online for all the world to see.  Cute photos of groups or couples at the reception - fine.  Photos of me in my wedding dress, with my groom, or during the ceremony?  Not okay.  And it's totally within my rights to say so.  It's my wedding, and guests should (and I'm certain mine will) respect my and my fh's wishes.  Has no one ever been to a concert where cameras weren't allowed?  It's not that weird.
  • Options
    sharksfan20sharksfan20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe just tell your maid of honor and bridesmaids that you don't want your pics on the web. That way they can kindly spread the word for you that you would prefer your pictures not posted. 
    Bon chance!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I loved that my friends and family posted pictures on facebook! They took some great candids that I was able to save to my desktop that I may otherwise never have seen!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really like klwithers advice...
    "Why not send a polite note via facebook before the day expressing your wishes?  I wouldn't personally wouldn't be put off by that.  You can communicate your feelings much better in a paragraph/note than a sentence on your programs and furthermore you're only expressing your wishes to the people it involves rather than all of your guests.".....

This way you don't even have to bring it up to the people that it doesn't pertain to.

However, you should not ask them to refrain from posting the pics unless you or your fiance are actually in them. It is an important night for them too, and they probably spent a lot of time getting ready, so they're going to want to upload their own pics.

Just remember, if people do upload pics, they are not at all trying to be rude. They are just happy for you and had a great time and want to show it off. Take it as a compliment! 

• Options
    avhanssonavhansson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it's pictures of the ceremony you're worried about, kindly let your guests know that personal cameras/camera phones are not allowed to be used during the ceremony. As for the reception, I think that it is rude to ask guests not to post ANY pictures. If you're worried about pictures of you (individual or as a couple) just ask that no pictures of you are posted unless they ask you first. I really would be offended if I went to a wedding and was told I couldn't put up any pictures. If they're pictures of me with friends and family I should be able to put them up. Asking or telling people that they can't put up any photos from the wedding will leave a bad taste in the mouth.
    Then again, that's just my opinion. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are okay with people posting images of themselves at the wedding, but you don't want pictures of you and your ceremony posted - how would you word it?  I guess I've just seen tons of wedding albums posted on facebook by guests at weddings... and the pictures were awful! I just don't want someone to post an entire album of pictures of my ceremony before I've seen it, so everyone else can see it, while I'm on my honeymoon. 

I also don't want to hurt anyone's feelings :-( I want my guests to have a wonderful time and take as many pictures as they want -- I just don't want albums full of pictures posted.  I don't really mind if its a posed picture with guests, I just don't want the 'candids' so that people who I don't know can just peruse and critique my day at will. 

I don't really think its wrong to want to look beautiful in your wedding photos - and have everyone else see them.  But how would you word or say that without sounding bossy?  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Does that mean you're opposed to your photography posting the photos on their website as well?  I only ask because a lot of the posts on here talk about not wanting the intimate moments from the ceremony online and even if your guests don't take pictures then, your photographer is 99.9% of the time going to, unless you tell them not to of course.

Rather than stating on your invite not to post pictures, maybe you could note it on the programs that you would like your guests to sit back and enjoy the ceremony and allow your photographer to capture the special moments.  I don't know exactly how you would phrase it but I think if you plan on notifying your guests before the ceremony that might be an easier way to do it.  Don't come across like you're telling them they can't, but instead make it seem like you're doing them a favor.
  • Options
    danielemariedanielemarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_privacy-of-wedding-photos-todays-computer-age?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:30Discussion:e56fbea8-6847-4dd8-a441-d973e07693daPost:9a2f8bbb-b737-4428-9bba-c71fb01ece67">Re: Privacy of Wedding Photos in todays Computer Age</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can express a preference, but you have no right to require people to refrain from posting-- sorry, their photos are their property and it does not matter that you are in them. I think it is a bit presumptuous and a bit rude to make this kind of request-- but if you have to do it, you should probably have a groomsman approach people individually or in small groups.  Printing it on your program is tacky!
    Posted by honeybee77[/QUOTE]

Well, tacky is not something that you have thought of now is it?  No one is saying to NOT take pictures, all it is is a request that said pictures not be shared with the whole world.  Had a bride, ANY bride wanted the whole world in such an intimate moment, they would have televised it and gone on the first season of the bachelor.
    It is called decorum, and unfortunately most people in todays day and age do not have it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards