Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

I hate having my picture taken (semi long)

I always have, even when I'm at my "perfect" weight, manageable hair, nice outfit etc. I also don't like the look of formal posed pics and while I do have picture of my kids (just in case they aren't crazy like me) we have very few formal, posed shots.
I understand that I'm not the only VIP at our wedding, my FI doesn't mind pics and I know that he will want some photographic memories of our day but it isn't high on the list of priorities.for him.
We will have a DIY photobooth/favor/guestbook (thank you vistaprint goddess) set up. My sister and various stepmom's, MIL's, Dads and stepdadswill do some day of and getting ready pics. Our kids are our wedding party, we may do a first dance but no garter or boquet toss, no cake cutting, no toasts.
Can I ask a few people to take pics for us or should I try and find a photographer that will understand my craziness? We have a 14 year old neighbor that makes amazing videos and takes photography classes, I'd be happy with her and she'd have a great time and make $. But really? A 14 year old? Is that too far?
I'm bracing myself for the answers and I do understand I'm in the minority here...

Re: I hate having my picture taken (semi long)

• My FI and I aren't huge fans of posed pictures either. We both feel awkward, and it usually shows! We went with a photojournalist-style photographer. We'll do some posed shots, but others will be more natural feeling. Nice photographs that we like were a priority for us though, particularly because we don't like many of the pictures we have.  A professional will be able to manage lighting though and avoid the random elbow blocking someone's face, etc., and so may be worth considering. (Note: We had our engagement shoot, but I haven't seen any yet. I just know I've liked other's photographs of this style.)
  • What's wrong with hating to get your picture taken? If the photos aren't your thing why stress yourself out about it. If it's going to make you feel self-conscious, I'm guessing you won't enjoy your day as much. Why not just have friends and family give you the photos they're taking? Or go with the 14 year old. There are so many other things to stress about already. Just make sure to have fun at your wedding. And drink. I'm definitely a believer in that last part. :)
  • Okay, no more stressing, thank for talking me down and letting me get this out here instead of putting my FI on the hotspot for something I know is so minor.
    I will prescreen photojournalists, we'll set up 1 or 2 appointments and who knows, maybe hire a professional for a couple of hours then rely on family, friends and the 14 year old -who I know will be famous someday!
  • My H and I could be the most unphotogenic people in the state. This is the reason we hired a photographer... We figured he would know how to pose us the best way and hopefully capture candid shots that weren't posed. It was a good decision. We wound up with more "good" pics than we had hoped for. Look at it as an investment in a good thing, not a reason not to hire one. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards