Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

What to ask when making inquiries?

Basically as stated--I know nothing about photography or how wedding photography tend to work, so what should I be asking about (prints? timelines? average number of shots?) when I start making inquiries? There's a big price range in the market where I'm getting married (starting at $1600 on the low end, starting at $5000 on the high end, which is more than I'm willing to pay) and I don't know what to look for when looking at "budget" options. I'm planning long distance and have no interest in engagement photos.

Re: What to ask when making inquiries?

• edited December 2011
    Ask about their "packages". Usually photogs will have certain wedding packages available. Like up to 10 hours of coverage, bridal session, photo rights, wedding album with 40 photos -- $6,450 or 5 hours of coverage, bridal session, photo rights, wedding album -- $3,800

Something like that but of course they'll vary with each photog, location, etc.

You should always get photo rights!!! That means, after the wedding, you can go to any printer you want and print your photos whithout having to pay fees to your photog. Ask about traveling fees. Ask to see their work (even ask to see a whole wedding album). There's not really a way you can get a certain number of photos, but you can ask for an average. I don't really know anything about camera equipment (FI does), but be sure to look over his/her past work. I've ruled out potentials because half of the pictures were at a weird angle and I hate that. FI hates photos that are over edited and too many black and whites.

Also, when you get your contract, make sure you have a cut off point for when you get your pictures back. Of course, they have a lot to do and they also have other responsibilities besides you, but I wouldn't wait longer than a few months. I've heard horror stories of girls who waited almost 2 years (!!!) for them, but couldn't do much because time wasn't stated in the contract.

Also, if you'd like to try and negotiate price, tell them "Hey, I really love your work (artists love that other people love their art), but its about 400 above our budget. We'd love to work something out with you, though. If we nix the wedding album and bridal portriats could we bring it down?" It never hurts to ask.

I really hope I helped and if this was jumbled I apologize Embarassed Good luck with everything!
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ask to see an entire wedding from beginning to end from their portfolio so you see how they will capture your day.  If you can see a wedding from your actual venue that's great, or also ask to see a wedding with your type of lighting/conditions (outside, cathedral, candlelight, etc.)  A good photographer will do most of the talking.
  • gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First you need to decide how important the photos are to you, and what you will want to use them for.  Someone who simply wants a 'guy with a camera' to document the day and put thee photos in an album......a cheap photographer is fine.  My FI and I for example, wanted ART that we can create and display... so we went a lot pricier.

Another thing you have to decide is overall feel of the photos. some do vintagey shots, some are very modern, some are colorful, etc.  each photographer has their own style.  The third thing you have to decide is packages. A lot of photographers will throw in lots of 'free prints' of photos as a 'deal' and focus less on the actual photography.  if you want it, great. we didnt. we got digital rights to our photos and can print them wherever we want.

To start, look at a bunch of photographers websites and pick 3 or 4 whos style fits what you want.  (we learned that there were 3 tiers. simple photogs were about 1k, good composition, but bad techniques and lighting were about 2k, and true master photographers are about 3k in our area)  FWIW we went with Neal Urban (a link to our engagement shots: http://www.nealurbanblog.com/journal/2011/6/22/im-only-as-good-as-my-clients.html)

As far as questions to ask:
    * can i see an example of your work from start to end?
    * what are included in your packages?
    * will i have digital rights to all the photos?
    * have you worked with my venue/dj/church before?
    * how many hours of coverage will you provide?
    * how many photographers will be covering my day?
    * will YOU be the actual photographer, or will someone else be contracted out?
    * what happens if you get sick?
    * do you have backup equipment?
    * how long will the turnaround be to see my photos?
    * how do you make sure you get all the shots I want? (my photographer carries around a list of all the shots i want, and checks them off during dinner to make sure he gets everything!)
    * do you edit the photos? Do I have input in that process? (aka can you ask for all black and white, no black and white, etc)
    * what prints or albums are included? (if this is important to you)
    * how can my family see or purchase the photos (if this is an option, or the way they do business)

....again, a lot of it depends on whats important to you and how the particular photographer does business.

also, ALWAYS make sure you like the photographer and their personality.  Aside from your FI, they're the other person who will be around you every second of that day --- so make sure they can make you smile! =D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards