Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Too many showers?!

I am having quite a few showers and am feeling a little overwhelmed.  I'm usually not the center of attention and am the last of all my friends to get married.  While I'm flattered that they are so excited about the big day, it seems like too much!  My FMIL is hosting a family shower in my fiance's hometown 12 hours away, my coworkers are hosting a shower at work, and my mom's best friends have started planning a shower too, all while my MOH was planning one as well. 

The shower by my MOH and my mom's best friends would have the exact same guest list for both parties and it doesn't seem right to do two showers in my hometown like this.  Is it okay to tell my MOH how I'm feeling and that while I love that she has put so much thought into it, how about she plan the bachelorette night instead?  I feel like I'll either upset my mom's friends, my MOH & bridesmaids, or I"ll be stressed out because its too much to invite people to multiple parties (even if they can decline). 

Re: Too many showers?!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you do need to talk to one group of them (moms friends or moh) so that the two similar showers do not get fully planned. They might be disappointed but they will get over it. If anything it will take the stress of planning a party off of them. I wouldn't suggest a Bach party instead though, because it generally not polite to request someone throw you one. GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You are absolutely correct. Do not invite any of your guests to more than one shower. If you let your MOH know that you really appreciate her offer, but that you mom's friends already have offered to throw a hometown shower, I'm sure she will understand.
    Don't ask her to host a bp, instead. That idea should come from her.

Good luck.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_many-showers-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:00a8965a-8080-4f33-afab-4896398c90caPost:bb166d96-8e0c-4fe1-914b-d86e9577c2b0">Too many showers?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am having quite a few showers and am feeling a little overwhelmed.  I'm usually not the center of attention and am the last of all my friends to get married.  While I'm flattered that they are so excited about the big day, it seems like too much!  My FMIL is hosting a family shower in my fiance's hometown 12 hours away, my coworkers are hosting a shower at work, and my mom's best friends have started planning a shower too, all while my MOH was planning one as well.  <strong>The shower by my MOH and my mom's best friends would have the exact same guest list for both parties and it doesn't seem right to do two showers in my hometown like this. </strong> Is it okay to tell my MOH how I'm feeling and that while I love that she has put so much thought into it, how about she plan the bachelorette night instead?  I feel like I'll either upset my mom's friends, my MOH & bridesmaids, or I"ll be stressed out because its too much to invite people to multiple parties (even if they can decline). 
    Posted by 2011bell[/QUOTE]

You're right to feel that way.  Shower guest lists shouldn't overlap.  I would have a sit down with MOH and mom's BFFs to see if they can work out planning one shower together.

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards