Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower Reserved Seating?

Hi Ladies,

Did any of you have reserved seating at your bridal shower due to divorced families?  i need some ideas to keep my stepmom away from mine and my mom's table without insulting anyone? My mom is the one who is throwing the shower...

Please help!!!!

Should we have place cards?

Just have a reserved seating sign at my table?

or leave it up to chance?

Re: Bridal Shower Reserved Seating?

• jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it should be necessary to reserve seating at a bridal shower.

Your mom and your stepmom are adults and can behave as such and can determine whether or not they want to sit together.

My FH's parents are divorced and his mom and stepmom got along just fine at my shower.
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would hope that two grown women can behave well.

The only assigned seating that was ever at my shower was a seat for me and an assigned table for the grandmas.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-reserved-seating?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:0a8677dd-d3d0-4d96-b675-283c58a19b26Post:f9f16b1b-69d9-42e1-90b6-3f66c26f2e74">Re: Bridal Shower Reserved Seating?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would hope that two grown women can behave well. <strong>The only assigned seating that was ever at my shower was a seat for me and an assigned table for the grandmas.
    </strong>Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

This. My shower is in a month, but at my friend's shower recently she had a table for the mom and grandmas so they could see everything, and a few chairs near her for us BMs to help with writing down gifts, throwing away wrapping paper, etc. (we offered to do this, she was NOT a bridezilla)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*
  • edited December 2011
    I think you can do whatever makes you feel less stressed and more comfortable. My shower is next weekend (I think, it's a surprise!! Laughing ) but I went to one last month where they had assigned tables. I REALLY liked this, actually, b/c I didn't really know anyone else there except the groom's sisters and the bride. So I didn't feel like I was forcing myself on a table with a bunch of people I didn't know. It made it a lot easier for me. But, the PPs do have a valid point, too.
    Just a different perspective for you! HTH!
    IMHO, whatever you do will be the right thing to do for YOU. This is your day, no one else's. And you don't even need to explain your decision to anyone. In fact, not mentioning the reason for doing assigned tables would be etiquettely correct. You just wanted to make it the most fun and stress-free for everyone, which is the truth!
    Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • piscesgrl3286piscesgrl3286 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!  I was thinking about putitng a reserved sign on the one table and have everyone else fight for themselves

Yes, they are grown women but my stepmom will probably say something stupid and piss off my mom... my mom is the one who paid for the shower and a good chunk of the wedding so i want my mom to enjoy the day as well since she did mostly everything.
  • john&juliejohn&julie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

As I had absolutely nothing to do with  my shower (short of sending the guest list), my bridesmaids were the ones who made the call, and yes, they had assigned seating.  But not for reasons of breaking up people who don't get along - quite the opposite, in fact.  I have family and friends from all over the country, and my MOH thought it would be a great idea for people who don't know each other well to sit together.  We had one long table for 25, so everyone got to sit by someone they didn't know well or at all.  It really made for some great girl bonding time, everyone had fun, and we didn't really stay in our "assigned" seats that much - there was lots of room for movement (not to mention we did a wine tasting so everyone got super friendly and outgoing by the end of the party).

• edited December 2011
    I agree that adults should be able to behave themselves for a few hours, but that's not always the case. If your step mother has a history of being rude to your mom, assigned seating is the perfect solution to your problem. I would make place cards for  every guest, rather than reserve just one table for you and your mom.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards