Pre-wedding Parties
Options

HELP!!! I would love to have a bridal shower

I would love to have a bridal shower to hang out with all of my friends, but my sister is my MOH and she is young and I don’t think she is going to think about things like this. Does anyone have a good idea of how I can make this happen? I don’t want to say anything to her. I love her and that is the reason I chose her as my MOH not for her to help out with the wedding.

Re: HELP!!! I would love to have a bridal shower

• Options
    mcskatcatmcskatcat member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Is there anyone else who might offer to host a shower for you?  An aunt or cousin or other BM?  Your MOH isn't required to throw a shower for you.

Unfortunately, a shower has to be offered in order for it to happen.  It's really not polite to ask someone to host a party for you, and since it's a party thrown in your honor you cannot take care of it yourself.

If you just want to hang out with friends, why not plan a girls night out without presents and a wedding-related theme? 

• Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_would-love-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:0e103776-2c7f-43bd-85c0-2602633f75adPost:8a56b8dc-c6c4-4c0a-ad4f-33f935dbebe6">Re: HELP!!! I would love to have a bridal shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there anyone else who might offer to host a shower for you?  An aunt or cousin or other BM?  Your MOH isn't required to throw a shower for you. Unfortunately, a shower has to be offered in order for it to happen.  It's really not polite to ask someone to host a party for you, and since it's a party thrown in your honor you cannot take care of it yourself. If you just want to hang out with friends, why not plan a girls night out without presents and a wedding-related theme? 
    Posted by mcskatcat[/QUOTE]

This.  Remember that a shower is a gift and if it isn't offered, it doesn't happen.  Host a fun girls night so you can hang out with your friends and make sure there is nothing wedding related about it.
  • Options
    ShakeUpTampaShakeUpTampa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister is 17 and is a BM as she didn't want to walk down the aisle first lol. My MOH and other BM will be 30 and 28 when the time comes and we just had a girls night party at my place with some other friends who are all guests at the wedding and they all go to to tossing ideas around already so a bunch of people are helping but MOH and other BM are taking lead as I saw it for games/cost. An Aunt of my FI asked if someone was throwing one for me and if they needed help to let her know and my FMIL also offered help or her house to use. As anyone else shown any interest or asked if you were having one?
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

It's not the MOH's responsibility to throw the bridal shower or any of the pre-wedding parties. Anyone can host these parties except for the bride. Your mom, your FMIL, grandmothers, aunts, friends of the family, any of the BP members, etc...

My mom threw my shower with a lot of help from my MOH and BM's, and most other showers I've attended are also hosted by the mother of the bride and/or groom.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely agree with your thought of not saying anything to her; I know I was pretty annoyed when I was told I was "in charge of doing the bridal shower," for a girls wedding. Do you think your mother will think to suggest it to her, or help her with one?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    She is in no way responsible for throwing any pre-wedding parties.  If you want  a way to hang out with friends, plan a girls' night out, girls night in, bbq in your backyard...whatever but if you are planning it, or requesting it happen, it shouldn't be wedding related.

My little sister is 19 and is my MOH.  The only wedding related thing she's done so far is went bm dress shopping, and listened to me complain from time to time when I get stressed.  She will not be throwing a shower or a bachelorette party.

My FMIL and FSIL(BM) will be thowing one shower and my mom and her friend will be hosting another.  These were offered as gifts to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all. I like the idea of doing a girls night out. Im not having my MOH do any work for my wedding eather I only want her there with me. More of less I only want to have fun with friends. I DONT want gifts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards