Pre-wedding Parties

How to tell photographer you want someone else?

Last month me and my fiance went and got our engagement pictures done.. we paid 300 dollars to get these done and they turned out completely awful.. I had a double chin in every picture and I don't even have a double chin. So this made me freak out because I do not want my wedding pictures to turn out this way. This surprised me because my brother had used him for his wedding and the pictures were all beautiful and I have seen his other work and it was fine...
I already paid a 500 dollar deposit to this photographer and I am now 7 months away from my wedding and want to change photographers. How do I tell this photographer I do not want him to do my wedding now? or should I just suck it up and hope that he can deliver good pictures?
I don't want to sound rude or superficial, but I really do not want to waste my money and have bad wedding pictures.

Re: How to tell photographer you want someone else?

• edited December 2011
    Did you tell the photographer that you weren't happy with the engagement pictures? I would start there. See if he is willing to work with you.

Did you sign a contract when you gave the photographer the deposit for the wedding?  Check it to see if the $500 deposit is refundable. If it's not, you will probably have to forfeit the deposit, if you switch photographers.

• edited December 2011
    I told him that some of them were nice but I wasnt impressed with others.. 
    Its very hard to explain this guy, he is super awkard and seems really shy. l actually feel like I would break his heart by telling him I dont want to use him anymore. 

I didn't sign any contract, his fees actually state that its a non-risk $500 dollar deposit, whatever that means. So im assuming he would give it back to me. 
    I just don't know how to say to him I dont want to use him without making him feel like he is not talanted, I dont want to make him feel bad. 

Maybe I just have to stop worrying though cause I really do not want bad wedding pictures and not really willing to risk it at this point. 

• edited December 2011
    I know it's hard, but you should tell him the truth. You don't want to be unhappy with your wedding photos.

If you don't want to do it face to face, write him a letter saying that you have decided to go with another photographer for your wedding. Request he refund your deposit. If he contacts you for specifics about why you weren't happy, be honest. He can learn from this.

• mcskatcatmcskatcat member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Maire.  You really have to look at this like a business relationship.  You weren't happy with the product and you aren't confident that your wedding photos will turn out any better. 

Don't just say 'I didn't like the photos" - be specific.  Tell him what you didn't like - the angle, the lights, etc.  Point out that they aren't flattering.  Keep it as objective as possible, don't just say 'I look bad."  

If you have that conversation, I can only assume he would offer to re-do them.  In that case you can give him that chance, and hopefully it will go better and you won't be out $500. 
  • beautysquadbeautysquad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello Keera!

As a beauty professional, I'd say that it is most definitely important for you to express your concerns and dissatisfaction when it comes to ANY business. If there was no contract, there should be no problem. It may be difficult for you to tell him, though, as a business operator- he should know and expect these kinds of situations to arise. You may not be the first or only one. Your wedding is a once-in-a-lifetime event- he should understand. If he cooperates, great! You move on and find better. If not, you can contact the Better Business Bureau about his business.

Don't let something like this get in the way of your big day. Everyone in the wedding business should especially understand.
  • edited December 2011
    Explain exactly what it is that you don't like about the engagement pictures. See if he'd do them again at no additional cost to you. If he does and the pictures are what you want, then I would chalk the first experience up to him having a bad day. If he won't do the e-pics again, then there's really nothing you can do but go with another photographer. There will be so much of your wedding that you'll ONLY get to see through the pictures. You definitely want them to be the best possible. If he's as shy and awkward as you say, he'll probably be willing to work with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards