Pre-wedding Parties

Throwing your own bridal shower?

All of my family and my wedding party live in other states, making it hard for them to host a bridal shower.  However, I am still wanting to have one as a way to get together with my frends that live locally prior to the wedding.
That being said, is it okay to throw my own bridal shower?
"if all catastrophes came with soundtracks, we would always pray for rain"

Re: Throwing your own bridal shower?

• edited December 2011
    You can't throw yourself a party for which the main point (and pretty much a requirement) is to give YOU gifts. You are however, always welcome to have a party to which you invite all your best girlfriends.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No.  Your friends or family can host it at a local venue, including your home, but you really shouldn't issue the invitations or be the host.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    All pp's are correct.

I lived (and still do) out of state from both sets of parents, siblings, relatives, etc and I still had a bridal shower. One of my family friends decided to throw it. She asked me a few dates that worked best for me and she checked her schedule. Then we narrowed it down according to me getting time off work and getting a flight home, etc. It can all be worked out, really.
  • Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with all the pp's.  And don't assume that people from other states wouldn't come.  I know a woman who flew from Tampa to Baltimore EIGHT TIMES prior to her son's wedding, just to attend the bride's family events (wedding showers, family reunions, cookouts, birthday parties, etc.) hosted in the bride's hometown.  If people WANT to be there, they will find a way to be there.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks y'all.
    "if all catastrophes came with soundtracks, we would always pray for rain"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards