Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal shower registry/ gifts

So my FI and I moved away from our hometown and we are having our wedding in our new city....so I'm flying back to arizona for the bridal shower/ bachorlette weekend....so instead of registering for gifts I just said gift cards to VS would be great because I won't be able to take everything back if I'm flying....is this tacky?

Everyone invited are also invited to the wedding, which will be a destination wedding for them. And they are all super close friends and family (and family to be).

Let me know what you think

Re: Bridal shower registry/ gifts

• ShakeUpTampaShakeUpTampa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Telling people what to give you is tacky. I would have hoped you had registered early on and they could have shipped to your home. Otherwise be gracious and thankful and pack it up and UPS or Fedex it back home. It's just as bad as asking for cash.
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I find it tacky and a bit rude.  You can't (or really shouldn't) dictate what the guests give you as gifts.  I had my shower in NY and I live in AZ...the guests all knew the situation and, for the most part, they bought smaller gifts from the registry, gave gift cards, or shipped the gifts to AZ and included a picture of it inside the card.  I packed up the gifts in a suitcase and checked it on the flight home.  No big deal.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I'd still register for actual items if someone is hosting a shower for you.  People will have the option to ship it to your house. There is even a 'comment' section on the bottom of BBB and Target Registries that you could put in there your home address for shipping information.  Maybe that will give the hint.  Otherwise, you graciously accept what they give you at the party and you figure out how to get it home yourself, whether it be shipping or checking in on luggage. 
  • JuneMaggieJuneMaggie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think maybe you can tell a couple best friends to maybe spread the word, but I wouldn't just come out and tell people.  People printed off a few pictures of things that bought for me too- so I had something to open. 

I think Bridal Showers are for real gifts and you should register for things, that is part of the party, opening things.  

Even I registered for tangible stuff and I had a honeymoon/wish registry for my  main wedding registry at Upon our Star (www.uponourstar.com) but I still did a BB&B and potterybarn.com one for my shower.  
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I just wanted to check because the invites are going out at the end of the week and didn't know what to do exactly...and I did think about the gift opening part too....thanks for the input....I've got a registry to set up! Thanks so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards