Pre-wedding Parties

Lingerie Showers

So in my circle of friends, these are really popular for some reason. I have been invited to about 5 of them, and have declined each one because I really dislike them. I feel like if I'm going to buy something sexy, I'd rather buy it for myself! Now one of my closer friends is having one, and I'm pretty much going to go because we are close friends.

Any alternative gift ideas that won't make me look like a prude? (besides like candles or something, everyone does that). Also, how do you guys feel about these showers? Doesn't anyone want pots and pans anymore? I know I do! :)

Can I just buy something off their registry? I wasn't invited to the wedding because it's destination.
March 3, 2012

Re: Lingerie Showers

• loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It reminds me of a Passion Party - I seen it done for Bachelorette parties, not bridal showers, only been to 1 and didn't buy anything. It was for us, not for the bride. If you're buying for the bride, then choose Bride-to-Be panties or something along those lines.

Obviously, you don't like those (I know I don't care for them) so hopefully whoever hosts your b shower will include your registry card inside the invitations so you can get pots/pans
  • edited December 2011
    ditto gift card idea... if you don't want to do that, perhaps thigh high stockings?
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I agree that lingerie is a private thing.  I like the gift card idea, or figuring out a graceful way to decline.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_lingerie-showers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:2528fd6e-d4e8-471d-9e44-3f3ba14157e9Post:70ed7fc3-ab4f-4125-bbc5-50f8e174f243">Lingerie Showers</a>:
    [QUOTE]So in my circle of friends, these are really popular for some reason. I have been invited to about 5 of them, and have declined each one because I really dislike them. I feel like if I'm going to buy something sexy, I'd rather buy it for myself! Now one of my closer friends is having one, and I'm pretty much going to go because we are close friends. Any alternative gift ideas that won't make me look like a prude? (besides like candles or something, everyone does that). Also, how do you guys feel about these showers? Doesn't anyone want pots and pans anymore? I know I do! :) Can I just buy something off their registry? <strong>I wasn't invited to the wedding because it's destination.</strong>
    Posted by elizabeth_g229[/QUOTE]

If you weren't invited to the wedding then you shouldn't have been invited to any of the pre-wedding parties. When someone decides to have a destination wedding, they also give up having bigger pre-wedding parties because their wedding guest list is smaller. If she had invited you to the destination wedding and you couldn't make it that's another story, but it sounds like you weren't invited at all. Because of this and since this whole thing isn't your "cup of tea" I would just decline the invite to the lingerie shower altogether since it's rude that you were invited in the first place and it appears gift grabby.

I agree that lingerie is personal and it's something you should pick out and buy for yourself knowing your tastes and your own body. If you decide to go anyway just get her a gift card to Victorias Secret or Fredericks of Hollywood so she can pick out her own sexy little things. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    Leaving aside the issue that inviting people to a shower that aren't invited to the wedding is uber rude......

I was invited to one a couple of years ago.  I also am uncomfortable with buying unmentionables for someone else.  I found a soft and warm bed jacket.  As a matter of fact, I liked it so much that I got myself one in a different color.  It's perfect for reading or watching TV in bed.  LOVE it!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My "unmentionables" should remain, IMO, private and unmentionable.

I'd decline an invitation to a lingerie shower.  I'd decline it faster if it was for someone who was having a DW to which I wasn't invited.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    So I didn't even think of the etiquette faux pas here, but you're right. I'm foggy on destination wedding etiquette :)I would't say she's bashful, but she is on the quiet side. The evil side of me wants to get her something so embarrassing that she turns blood red in front of everyone :) But of course I'll probably just do the gift card. Thanks ladies!
    March 3, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    An idea would be to get a silky nightgown and some nice padded, silk hangers. I always love how these look but would never buy them for myself because they are usually pretty expensive. You could say that the hangers were for the nightgown and for the negligee to hang on.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • lilcasserslilcassers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

a sexy scent perfume or those cute "just married" or "engaged" panties from victoria secret.

or a VS gift card.

this is a shower and not a bach party? weird!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    A nice robe.  My fiance got me a cashmere robe from Bluefly.com a few years back, and I love it to pieces.  (Unfortunately, I don't use it that much, because it's hot down here, but ...)

A pretty robe or kimono or dressing gown can walk a nice line between sexy and frumpy (terry-cloth robes are great, we all have them, but they're not the most fun for shower gifts).
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards