Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Shower Date Dillema - What to do/am I being unreasonable?

Ok, so my wedding is July 9th.  A family friend has offered to throw me a shower & trying to find a date for it has been a real issue.  Since my wedding is in less than 2 months, & I have a wedding to attend in June, my weekends are pretty booked.  The only days I really have available before the wedding are May 29th & June 12th.  The 29th is less than 2 weeks away & it is Memorial Day weekend.  I've thrown the date out there & already know that 2 of my bridesmaids probably won't be able to attend & a couple friends won't be able to either.  The issue is this: the family friend who offered to throw the shower has a daughter that just got engaged & is getting married in August.  My mom is going to throw her shower & she has already told her that she wants it on June 12th.  I asked her if she had any other dates open (since she has a month longer than I do) & her mom said that she "thinks all the weekends in July are pretty busy" & she's convinced that the 29th should be ok & she can send the invites out this week & it will be plenty of time.  Is she right?  I just feel like there won't be many people that will be able to come on such short notice & during a holiday weekend.  I also think that they're being stubborn about wanting June 12th & if they wanted to, they could find a time in July to have it.  I can't really have someone else host it either, since it would probably cause a huge fight since there are a lot of guests that would overlap & would be unable to attend both showers if they were on the same day.  I've been easy-going about this whole thing & I don't want to cause any issues, but I'm at a loss at how to handle this situation.

Help!!!! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Shower Date Dillema - What to do/am I being unreasonable?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It's not impossible, but 2 weeks notice for a holiday weekend does seem short to me.

There are 2 1/2 days in every weekend. Could one of you have your shower on Friday night (a cocktail or dessert party, maybe) or on Saturday, and the other on Sundayof that June weekend? The two moms might be able to share some of the shower related tasks to help each other out. And you two brides will both get the weekend showers that you want.

*edited-spelling*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you should expect or ask the daughter to change her shower date if it's already been decided on (regardless of whether or not it would be easy to do). I agree with MairePoppy that a Friday night shower may be your best bet.

Two weeks would be short notice for a holiday weekend, but as someone who has no plans for Memorial Day weekend, I'd be able to attend (therefore, you may get a higher turn-out than you anticipate).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs that you should try to work something out so you both can have showers that weekend.  Also, if I read your post right, your mom is hosting the other shower.  Doesn't she have some say in when it is?  I would talk to her to work out a way for you both to have showers the weekend of the 12th. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards