Pre-wedding Parties

engagement party

when do you normally have the engagement party? FI and I just got engaged but are planning a long engagement. possiblely a 2012 or 2013 wedding. do you plan engagement party now or closer to the wedding?
Thanks

Re: engagement party

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    An engagement party is something throw for you and your FI (not by either of you) and it is traditionally held shortly after the engagement.
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_engagement-party-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:42719b84-5d47-4176-8f99-f3946c06df8aPost:f118cedc-0415-450f-b234-29fdf68eb85a">engagement party</a>:
    [QUOTE]when do you normally have the engagement party? FI and I just got engaged but are planning a long engagement. possiblely a 2012 or 2013 wedding. do you plan engagement party now or closer to the wedding? Thanks
    Posted by asommella[/QUOTE]

Engagement parties are thrown closer to the engagement. PP is right, you shouldn't host this one yourself because the party is in honour of you. Etiquette-wise, people shouldn't host parties for themselves (although it does happen). So wait and see if someone offers to host you one, and then you can accept the offer! :)

Congrats on your engagement!
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a 16 month engagement, and our engagement party was held 2 months after we got engaged and 14 months before the wedding. It's better to have the e-party closer to the engagement than to the wedding because there are a lot of other pre-wedding parties closer to the wedding and it gets to be too much.
  • edited December 2011
    Hmmm...the fiance and I were going to have a dinner with our parents, grandparents, and a few local aunts and uncles (Both our only sibilings live out of state). We wanted just the families to get together to celebrate, mainly for the grandparents, because we don't see them often. I don't know if that's considered an engagment party. Is it? We announced our engagement to them over the phone, but wanted to invite them to dinner to see us and spend time with our families. Before all the wedding stuff begins...my wedding is 13 months away. But weren't planning on sending invitations or calling it an engagement party. We were just going to take them out to dinner. Will people think that's what it is?

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm doing the same thing.  I've just arranged a "family get-together" with my parents and FI parents so they could meet and we could all have dinner together. 

So it is not really an "engagement party" in the traditional sense... no gifts and no formal invitations/etc.  It is on neutral meeting grounds too... a casual restuarant.

I think a dinner/casual get-together is a good option for those who want to host something themselves to celebrate.  :o
    October 2011 Siggy Challenge - Wedding PreviewimageWedding Countdown Ticker

Planning Bio
  • zwiebelchenzwiebelchen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you also invite people who may not be invited to the wedding? Or do you have to stick to the wedding invitation list to invite to the engagement party?
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anyone invited to ANY pre wedding party needs to be invited to the main event.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards