Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Jack and Jill Shower??

Has anyone attended/hosted a Jack and Jill shower? I have never been to one, and am hoping that some of you can provide me with some of the pros/cons of such an event.

Thanks!

Re: Jack and Jill Shower??

• Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you clarify if it's a Jack and Jill shower where it's just a shower with men and women or if it would be the type that involves ticket sales?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ticket Sales? Honestly I don't know what we would sell tickets for....I thought a jack and jill was just a shower with men and women. No? This is why I need guidance! :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I've heard of some people call a Jack and Jill a party with ticket sales.  I'm personally not a fan.

However my aunt threw us a Jack and Jill shower.  It was a picnic with gifts basically.  She did some stuff with a 'love' theme but basically it was a great get together and at the end, we opened some presents. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ALSO want to do a Jack and Jill Shower - I'm so glad you brought this up!  I actually don't like how prim and proper bridal showers are - I want to have beer, boys and kickball at my event!  I also don't want to spend two hours opening gifts, so I'm thinking of asking guests not to wrap gifts and just attach a card . . . my priority is hanging out with people and not unwrapping presents, I guess.  Plus, we didn't do an engagement party so a "co-ed wedding shower" would be perfect for us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

A few issues with your idea though 14joe:

1) You don't throw your own shower

2) It is still rude to not open the gifts if it's a shower - and you can't tell people how to give you presents

3) Not having an engagement party isn't a reason fo ra jack and jill.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    To OP:
    The last one I went to was called a "couples shower." I enjoyed it a lot more than just a bridal shower, but I am friends with both the B&G and felt like it just was less awkward when they opened gifts together. I mean, they are supposed to be getting gifts as a couple, so why shouldn't he be present when they are opened I guess.

And I'm pretty sure he felt plenty comfortable. My FI had a good time too. There were still some "cutesy" things, there was a contest between the B&G and then they had that quiz game thing where they answered questions about eachother. The winner got the first piece of cake. So there was enough cutesy to be entertaining but no toilet-paper wrapped brides (which, is fine by me!)
    imagepcos ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hey all, i would love to get people's advice on some more Jack and Jill situations if possible.... 
    So my future mother-in-law is really excited about throwing us a Jack and Jill (but the tacky-make-your-guests-buy-tickets kind) and I'm pretty anti. But I'm not trying to burn bridges here with the future family by seeming ungrateful to her enthusiasm to plan the event. Not sure what to do... also, these types of pay-your-way Jack and Jill's seem to be pretty common where my FI and I grew up (where both our families still are) but we've moved away to another state and none of our friends here know what it is, and I'm concerned about inviting them. Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated! thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hglebocki - I think you should explain to FMIL that your friends are not used to the idea and might find it rude. It can't hurt to just be honest. I get that you don't want to start drama with FMIL, but you also don't want all of your new friends to be offended and you should probably start off that relationship with honesty as well. She probably doesn't KNOW that it can be rude since her circle is used to it. Just make her aware and it might work out better.
    imagepcos ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks AmeliaAndSeth88! I'll try to do that, hopefully she'll understand :)
  • Options
    MrsH8611MrsH8611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So I love the ideas on here. but geeze girls don't get so heated.  :)
    AmeliaAndSeth88: I love the ideas you gave as well. I have a groom who wants to be involved in everything and opening the gifts for the BOTH of us make more sense if we are BOTH there. And I would love for everyone to be there to have fun :) I just might do this. But I do think I will say couple shower and not Jakc and Jill thing :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards