Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Bridal shower at bride to be's house?

Is it ok to have the bridal shower at my own house? The location that my sisters planned for fell through and I have the most space for a shower. My sister is saying that I can't host my own shower... but what if they host it here? I need advice. 

Re: Bridal shower at bride to be's house?

• Options
    lizstill13lizstill13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It could look like you are trying to host your own shower, which is why sister is probably so concerned. I would let her deal with it, it seems like she knows what she's doing.
  • Options
    frenchy730frenchy730 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's fine.  I've been to showers at the home of the guest of honor before.  It should still be clear that someone else is throwing it for you, since the invites will come from your sister.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest that your sister try to find and alternative location for the shower first.  However if that is not possible and your home is the only other alternative then I would suggest that you have errands or something planned prior to the shower. 

It would really seem weird to the guest to arrive and you greet them.  I think it would sit better with guests if you didn't arrive home until the start of the shower.  
  • Options
    lizstill13lizstill13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-bride-bes-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:47135414-4da9-4b72-aaed-95208f4de931Post:605dddaf-170c-4bc5-9e13-92c231e26ecd">Re: Bridal shower at bride to be's house?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would suggest that your sister try to find and alternative location for the shower first.  However if that is not possible and your home is the only other alternative then <strong>I would suggest that you have errands or something planned prior to the shower.  It would really seem weird to the guest to arrive and you greet them.  I think it would sit better with guests if you didn't arrive home until the start of the shower.  </strong>
    Posted by SheDiva4[/QUOTE]

This is a great idea as a last resort.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I see nothing wrong with it.  The invitation will be issued by your sister/WP.  And I don't think you have to leave your own home prior to the shower.

My DD's shower was at our house, and she was living with us at the time.  She (and I) don't like surprises, so she knew about the shower and greeted people as they arrived.

My nephew's bride had her shower at her mom's house.  She was there as we came in, chatting and greeting people. 

For both brides, it was nice, because it actually gave them more time to spend visiting with guests.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If this is a shower with your dearest friends and closest family members, I'm sure they will understand the circumstances.

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Excellent point maire!
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just had my shower on Saturday and it was at my house.  My bridesmaids planned everything and took care of it all and I was there as guests started arriving.  I didn't think it was that big of a deal. 

I say do whatever works best for you and whatever you are most comfortable with.  You can drive yourself crazy worrying about ettiquette this and ettiquette that and things have changed so much that all the "standards" on what is right and wrong have changed and continue to change. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!!! I feel much better. My sister actually did say if it is at our house she would want me to leave for a bit so she could take care of everything... Smile
  • Options
    laura_fettlaura_fett member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to showers that were at the home of the bride. It didn't seem like a problem to me. The invitations were from the hosts, the rsvp was sent back to the hosts. It seemed pretty clear who was hosting. I thought it was since because I hadn't gotten to see where the bride was living until the shower (recently moved), so it was nice that way too!
  • Options
    dmiller9274dmiller9274 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I don't see a problem with it.  Look at the upside...at least you won't have to transport your gifts, they'll already be home.  Enjoy!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hosted one of my sister's showers at her home. I was in college and didn't have a space (or funds to pay for a venue) and it was very clear that I was the hostess!
  • Options
    WGachesWGaches member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I planned BFF's shower (in march) I had it at her Mom's house. I am a graduate student, so my apartment was too small, and there are no good places to host showers here, so her Mom graciously allowed us to have it there. She had nothing to do with the planning, wasn't on the invitation, and BFF wasn't there while we set everything up. No one said anything about it, so I don't think it was a problem.
    *Jeremiah 29:11* SoyFreeBlog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards