Pre-wedding Parties

Shower Help

My cousin is planning a shower for her future DIL, for the family from the east coast.
The bride & groom live in Minnesota. So we are trying to come up with some ideas for a "Ship To" Theme. So I am soliciting any ideas. 
Please don't respond with etiquitte issues, because we are doing this shower. I am just hoping someone else has done this & can help us Jersey girls out!!

Re: Shower Help

• Making sure I understand - you're throwing the shower in Jersey but you want the gifts shipped to MN.  So you're hoping that everyone will show up empty handed because everything will be already sent to the bride in MN?

If I understand this right, then I'd request that the guests bring a photo in an envelope of what they purcahsed for the shower and have the bride open the envelopes instead of the physical gifts.  For decor, I'd keep up with the postage theme and do something with postcards (maybe for the invitations or request that the attendants write well wishes/advice/recipies on the postcards for the bride).
  • edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_shower-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:52752359-dfaf-42ca-80ef-1a8611220006Post:443c7218-fdc0-429e-9321-a1e75cb5663d">Shower Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]My cousin is planning a shower for her future DIL, for the family from the east coast. The bride & groom live in Minnesota. So we are trying to come up with some ideas for a "Ship To" Theme. So I am soliciting any ideas. <strong>Please don't respond with etiquitte issues,</strong> because we are doing this shower. I am just hoping someone else has done this & can help us Jersey girls out!!
    Posted by Rudygirl1[/QUOTE]

There's no right way to request the guests ship their gifts. My friend's daughter lives on the west coast. When she had her shower on the east coast, the bridesmaids shipped the boxed gifts that were brought to the shower, as their gift to the bride. So perhaps you and your cousin could offer to pay for the shipping. If your new family member gets any large items, she could probably return them to the store for a credit and repurchase them at her local store. If time does not permit, one of you Jersey girls could do it for her.

The guests at the shower were aware that the bride lived far, far away, so they kept that in mind when selecting gifts. Some bought small items, lingerie and gift cards. Others ordered registry gifts and had them shipped to the address. That was something they chose to do, no one suggested it.

One more thing - Once you post a question, people will respond to whatever you have written. You don't get to tell us what to say and what not to say.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_shower-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:52752359-dfaf-42ca-80ef-1a8611220006Post:f4be4d72-bd01-4d2c-8478-11bd693817e5">Re: Shower Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Shower Help : There's no right way to request the guests ship their gifts. My friend's daughter lives on the west coast. When she had her shower on the east coast, the bridesmaids shipped the boxed gifts that were brought to the shower, as their gift to the bride. So perhaps you and your cousin could offer to pay for the shipping. If your new family member gets any large items, she could probably return them to the store for a credit and repurchase them at her local store. If time does not permit, one of you Jersey girls could do it for her. The guests at the shower were aware that the bride lived far, far away, so they kept that in mind when selecting gifts. Some bought small items, lingerie and gift cards. Others ordered registry gifts and had them shipped to the address. That was something they chose to do, no one suggested it. One more thing - Once you post a question, people will respond to whatever you have written. You don't get to tell us what to say and what not to say.
    Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]
    Lol- Thanks so much!!! I like your idea too!!!<div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_shower-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:52752359-dfaf-42ca-80ef-1a8611220006Post:35eba056-4874-40e4-928d-8fc93630c347">Re: Shower Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Making sure I understand - you're throwing the shower in Jersey but you want the gifts shipped to MN.  So you're hoping that everyone will show up empty handed because everything will be already sent to the bride in MN? If I understand this right, then I'd request that the guests bring a photo in an envelope of what they purcahsed for the shower and have the bride open the envelopes instead of the physical gifts.  For decor, I'd keep up with the postage theme and do something with postcards (maybe for the invitations or request that the attendants write well wishes/advice/recipies on the postcards for the bride).
    Posted by Jager1219[/QUOTE]

<div>We were thinking of the picture idea as well. Just trying to figure a way to display them. Love the postcard ideas- Thanks so much!!!</div><div>
    </div>
  • My FMIL's shower was like this because her and her now-husband lived overseas (he was in the military at the time).  What they did, to the best of my knowledge, is had a regular bridal shower and took lots of pictures and then the family boxed everything up and shipped it to her.  I believe any wrapped gifts were opened either by her mom or sister.

These days, you could always set up Skype so the bride can virtually be there to thank people for coming and sort of participate.  Then any gifts that are brought could be shipped OR since I assume you'll be physically seeing the bride and groom at the wedding, you could bring them with you then.  EIther way...just make sure the bride is aware of who gave what so she can send thank you notes in a timely manner.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards