Pre-wedding Parties

Thoughts on a "Display Shower"?

What are your thoughts on a "Display Shower", where it is more of a cocktail party and people don't wrap gifts (so there is no gift opening), but rather gifts are displayed so people can see them?

We are having 3 showers, and one is a couples shower...and someone made this suggestion.:

Have a cocktail party, no gift opening, but people will be able to see what you are given.  Dinner/drinks included.

Thoughts??
image **Married 7/9/11**

Re: Thoughts on a "Display Shower"?

• LindsMullinixLindsMullinix member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea - although some guests look forward to the look on the bride/grooms face when they open their gift - they would lose that at this type of party but it would be more enjoyable for the types that get sick of watching the bride/groom open gifts the whole time.  If there are going to be three showers I think this would be best for a younger crowd - perhaps go with the traditional gift opening for the older more traditional guests?
    -Linds
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't like it at all.  For me, it is seeing the bride's (and/or groom's) reaction as they open gifts.  It just rubs me the wrong way, and I know my circle would be appalled by this.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    That is a big part of giving a gift for many people - watching the other person open it and being excited.  So, I wouldn't do it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    seems like you can't be bothered to take time to open the gift, you just want it! I personally wouldn't care (save on wrapping paper!!!! ) but i can see how some people would find this a little offensive. agreed, younger crowd only if you decide to do it!
    ~basquing in the wedded bliss~
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry - not a fan.
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm young, but I love watching someone open a gift! It isn't that hard to wrap a gift, so I really don't understand why someone would want to do this.

But I do like the dinner/drinks included ;)

But I am curious to hear why someone thinks this is better than having gifts wrapped and then unwrapping them.
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    They whole point of a shower is to open gifts.  When they are displayed will there be a tag on them saying who they are from?  That seems like an environment where everyone could stand around and judge the gifts.  You can still do the more cocktail style of party but still have the gift opening, or just throw a cocktail party for your friends that has nothing to do with the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Whippet8Whippet8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    umm how would you know who gave you what? how would you write your thank you notes?
    TTC Buddies with JennaHack and 102007(Congrats!)!
    Baby Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah.....I wasn't sure how I felt about it, since I had never been to one before (or even heard of them).  The person who suggested it has good intentions, it just feels sort of rude when I think about it.

Thanks for the responses....I don't think a "display shower" is for me!  Have any of you ever been to one?
    image **Married 7/9/11**
  • edited December 2011
    I am going to one in two weeks - they were also worried about how people would recieve it but just explained on the invites as "going green".

I am personally more traditional but this bride has a shower on the larger side and felt that she would rather spend time with the guests driving to see her than making them open presents. To each their own right!
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Personally, I'm also not a fan of using the "going green" as the reason for the display shower.

Parties in general aren't "green".

• RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_thoughts-display-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:5b7f15d6-e9c1-4e1b-8d09-584822893411Post:00fb52ea-29ac-455d-bcf0-073a565de232">Re: Thoughts on a "Display Shower"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think they're rude. If the terrible, boring task of opening all those gifts is too big a chore for the bride, then she shouldn't have a shower. if I went to a shower and the hostess told me to give HER the gift so she could unwrap it and put it on display, I'd depart, gift in hand. I took the time out of my life to go shopping, carefully select a gift, spend my hard-earned money on it, wrap it, and go attend the shower. the least bridey can do is open it herself.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.  In fact, if I'm invited to one, I decline gracefully and send a wedding gift (wrapped) at a later date. 

But then, I also think post-wedding gift opening parties are tacky too, so what do I know? 
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the other ladies, this is rude and tacky.  I personally love unwrapping gifts, I think it's part of what makes receiving a gift so fun.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ssinkinsonssinkinson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Beyond Tacky if you are not a "Go Green" type of person.  My cousin had one.  They are no where near going green and there was nothing cute about it.
    IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • RevangelRevangel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_thoughts-display-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:5b7f15d6-e9c1-4e1b-8d09-584822893411Post:6d5d64e7-666b-478c-a32d-f3885f52be1b">Re: Thoughts on a "Display Shower"?</a>:
    [QUOTE]umm how would you know who gave you what? how would you write your thank you notes?
    Posted by melko4886[/QUOTE]

The same way you would for your wedding......their name should be on the card. If not, that's too bad.

As for the idea of a display shower, I have never heard of it before, but I think it defeats the purpose of a shower. The point of a shower is for people to 'shower' you with gifts and that you open all them. If you just want a cocktail party....have one and call it something different.
  • edited December 2011
    The display shower is common in my area (Alabama) but are called Bridal Teas.  I went to one last year, and IMO it was by far the worst wedding related party I had ever been to.  It felt like the bride couldn't be bothered with opening our presents.  When I walked in the door a hostess came and took the present, took it in another room, opened it, and put it on display.  II realize that the point of a shower is gifts, but it felt very cold and like our gifts were not appreciated.  My only request to my MOH who is throwing my shower that is be an actual "shower" not a "Tea" or "Display Shower."
  • edited December 2011
    Saying you're "going green" by not having wrapping paper on your gifts is really a very cheesy excuse. It's really tacky and it almost makes the gift recipient (you!) look unappreciative. 
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards