Pre-wedding Parties

Bride wants to invite EVERYONE!

I am the MOH in my BF's wedding. Her two bridesmaids and I are planning a shower. She first requests that it be a couple's shower at a specific restaurant. I then requested her guest list, thinking 20-30 people. She just emailed me back and said that we needed to invite everyone that lived in town.... 100 people plus 50-70 people from her job...... When I called her about this and explained that it would not be financially possible for us to host that big of a party- she started telling me that since this is her only shower, she wanted to get as many gifts as possible....... she really is not like this normally and it caught me off guard. ESPECIALLY because I live 5 states over and she knows I have to shell out for airfare. I just do not know what to do.... any help is appreciated.
MATRON OF HONOR! **SHELI**

Re: Bride wants to invite EVERYONE!

• edited December 2011
    She's being very rude and selfish. First, you are not obligated to throw her a shower. She should be grateful that you and the other BMs are hosting one. Since you say that she is not normally like this, try talking to her face to face to find out if there is something else going on. Once you figure out what else is going on, then you could bring up a more realistic number of people that you and the BMs can host comfortably within your budget. 170ish people is way too many to invite to a bridal shower.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Requiring you to host 170 people at a restaurant is ridiculous, that's bigger than many receptions. You should discuss your budget with her and tell her she can either have 20-30 people (or however many you can afford) at this restaurant or more people with snacks at punch in someone's backyard (or some other less expensive option). Or she can send you a couple grand to pay for the shower.
  • edited December 2011
    She insisted, even after you told her you could only afford to host 20-30 people? This bride is out of line.
    You should call her back, restate your offer. Tell her that is that doesn't suit her, you won't be hurt if she finds someone else to throw her shower. But stick to your guns.

• RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I think you'd  be within your rights to say 'this is what I can afford to offer, take it or leave it'  (only nicer than I said it there). 

But seriously, it sounds like you're going to be calling her on a lot more Bridezilla moments as time goes along.  The entire town?  Just to rake in gifts?  Yeah, the weight of her ring has made her brain fall out of her cranium or something.  I'm glad she has you to put it back where it belongs. 
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First of all the bride is being very selfish demanding that many people at a shower just so she can get a bunch of gifts. Second of all, she shouldn't be inviting all those people from work unless they're also invited to the wedding which I highly doubt.

Ditto pp's you need to be straightforward with her and let her know what you and the other BM's can afford and that's it. Tell her to make a list of her closest friends and her and her FI's female family members.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards