Pre-wedding Parties

Planning Coed Shower - Help!

Hello! My brother and FSIL are getting married in April. I am having their shower in March. As far as booking and guest list goes, that is all taken care of.
BUT, I have never been to a coed bridal shower so I am unsure of what activities to have. Also, I am trying to think of how to word the invites so that it may capture the interest of the men invited. I don't want them to RSVP no thinking it will be a "girly" event.

Any help will be appreciated!

Re: Planning Coed Shower - Help!

• LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For co-ed I would def skip too many activities. Actually, I would skip them for any shower, but definitely for a co-ed. Some games that people might enjoy are giving advice to the bride and groom, doing a kind of "how well do you know each other?" thing where all the guys get to ask the bride a question about the groom and all the girls ask the groom a question about the bride and then tally up and see who knew more answers at the end, etc.

Make sure the invites themselves aren't girly - do a neutral color like green or even the 'boy' color of blue. Make sure it says "Wedding Shower" not "Bridal Shower" on the invites, and make sure it includes both the bride and groom's names. Maybe say something like "Guys and Girls Grab your party hats and let's celebrate ____ and ____'s wedding with this awesome Wedding Shower!" (ok, obviously I suck at wording things on the fly, but that's kind of the general idea). Personally, though, I think the style/color of the invite and saying "Wedding" as opposed to "bridal" and including both bride and groom's names will make it even more clear than the wording.
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_planning-coed-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:6573e27b-9c63-41b3-847d-c37b5bcf1bd9Post:7a574222-06b1-463c-a050-d8847e257eb3">Planning Coed Shower - Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello! My brother and FSIL are getting married in April. I am having their shower in March. As far as booking and guest list goes, that is all taken care of. BUT, I have never been to a coed bridal shower so I am unsure of what activities to have. Also, I am trying to think of how to word the invites so that it may capture the interest of the men invited. I don't want them to RSVP no thinking it will be a "girly" event. Any help will be appreciated!
    Posted by christa62105[/QUOTE]

See, people tend to make this general assumption that girls sit around wearing pink, gossiping and playing boring games. And that guys stand around drinking beer and talking about sports.
    What do the bride and groom want to do? Because my girlfriends fit into the "guy" stereotype and no woman I know under the age of 40 fits into the "girl" stereotype.

So, when planning your party, make sure you plan it for the couple as they are not and not the genders they are. They'll thank you for that. :)
  • edited December 2011
    We call these Jack n Jill parties where I come from. Usually its a picnic/bbq in the park and games like cricket/rounders/croquet are played. Also some of those games like passing the orange from under the chin etc are usually played especially after the drinking has been going on.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_planning-coed-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:6573e27b-9c63-41b3-847d-c37b5bcf1bd9Post:fdd28ae9-e19b-453b-b23c-51cc4baa40bb">Re: Planning Coed Shower - Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We call these Jack n Jill parties where I come from. Usually its a picnic/bbq in the park and games like cricket/rounders/croquet are played. Also some of those games like passing the orange from under the chin etc are usually played especially after the drinking has been going on.
    Posted by j_jaye[/QUOTE]

That sounds like it would be hilarious!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards