Pre-wedding Parties

Do I have to have a bridal shower?

I've been living with my fiance for the past year and a half. We've already decided that we're just going to have a honeymoon registry for our Disney honeymoon (SO excited!) because we already have all of the little kitchen gadgets and appliances and home decor things from living together.  I have been trying to think how a bridal shower would be at all necessary when the main point of it is to receive said kitchen gadgets... plus, we're both still in college, and he will be graduating and looking at grad school options, and my bridesmaids and family are all over the place. Is it necessary? Or are there options to replace the typical shower? Any and all help is appreciated!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Do I have to have a bridal shower?

• AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, you don't have to have a shower.

Honeymoon registries aren't looked upon favorably here so just be warned.
  • edited December 2011
    All due repect, I'm not asking for opinions about my choice in using the honeymoon registry. I am simply asking for feedback on the topic of having or not having a bridal shower, or alternatives for it, and I feel that the comment regarding the "favorability" of honeymoon registries was unnecessary. I do appreciate, though, you reassuring me that I do not have to have a bridal shower. Thank you.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-40?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:66cf60af-9a27-4093-8bd4-c0bd6f32d0efPost:8a50e58b-1dac-45ad-bfa0-ade9fd0a085a">Re: Do I have to have a bridal shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]All due repect, I'm not asking for opinions about my choice in using the honeymoon registry. I am simply asking for feedback on the topic of having or not having a bridal shower, or alternatives for it, and I feel that the comment regarding the "favorability" of honeymoon registries was unnecessary. I do appreciate, though, you reassuring me that I do not have to have a bridal shower. Thank you.
    Posted by sdolander[/QUOTE]

I was just warning you on future responses you will get from people tomorrow.

With all due respect, I wasn't being mean or rude.

Thank <em>you</em>.
  • edited December 2011
    Please, I am not trying to start anything. It was not just a response to you, it was also to anyone else who might be responding to my message.  Your italicized "Thank you" was rude, despite your claim that you are not "trying" to be rude. If my comment seemed at all rude, I sincerely apologize; I was simply referring to your comment, not you specifically, as you have seen in my careful wording of the comment.  I am just looking for answers and opinions about the bridal shower, that's all.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-40?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:66cf60af-9a27-4093-8bd4-c0bd6f32d0efPost:1fa375af-270e-441c-85f4-fb5a9a471e3c">Re: Do I have to have a bridal shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please, I am not trying to start anything. It was not just a response to you, it was also to anyone else who might be responding to my message.  Your italicized "Thank  you " was rude, despite your claim that you are not "trying" to be rude. If my comment seemed at all rude, I sincerely apologize; I was simply referring to your comment, not you specifically, as you have seen in my careful wording of the comment.  I am just looking for answers and opinions about the bridal shower, that's all.
    Posted by sdolander[/QUOTE]

I understand that.  I've been around here for awhile.  All I was really doing is telling you that some people don't care about what you ask.  They are free to post whatever they want and so you might get some off-color reponses about honeymoon registries.  Check out the Registries and Gifts boards if you are curious.  I was actually just trying to help you avoid confrontation... but here we are.  This has gotten ridiculous.

All you need to know is that no, you don't HAVE to have a shower.
  • edited December 2011
    It's not a very good idea to post something and then warn everyone else not to comment on it. Once you put it out there, you  are going to get opinions. Here's mine:

Showers? not necessary

Honeymoon Registry? same as asking for cash - rude

• vsgalvsgal member
    edited December 2011
    If you don't want people to comment on something in your post, then don't put it in there.  You should be thankful that we are telling you that your honeymoon registry is in bad taste and rude.  You friends and family are thinking it, they are just not telling you.  You can always upgrade something.  Make a small registry for those items.  Kill the Disney registry.  Use any cash that you receive as gifts to fund your vacation.  Asking others to pay for an unnecessary vacation/sex fest is tacky.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • I am undecided about bridal shower also. and I agree this a public board but I also got the point that your question was about the shower and not your registries.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards