Pre-wedding Parties

Stock the Bar Engagement Party -- Invitation Wording

I am hosting an engagement party for my best friend who is getting married next summer. She thought it would be fun to have a "stock the bar" theme for the occasion. However, as this party is really informal (mostly close friends invited, serving appetizer-y type food at the couple's home), we wanted to make it clear that gifts are in no way expected. I'm not sure how to politely phrase "Don't feel obligated to bring a gift, but if you want to, an item to stock the couples' bar would be greatly appreciated."

Does anyone have any ideas? I've never attended an engagement party, let alone hosted one, and I'm a little bit lost in the whole process.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Re: Stock the Bar Engagement Party -- Invitation Wording

• Engagement parties are not gift giving occasions, so this is inappropriate.

• Gifts are not expected at engagement parties, so that solves that problem. If you would like to host a shower for your friend, you could host a stock the bar shower closer to the wedding date.

• Some engagement parties aren't gift giving events.
    Some people give monetary gifts at engagement parties, as a way to help the couple start out their new life together. In my family, sometimes a close a close family member might slip a check to the bride or something.
    Alcohol doesn't figure into this equation, no matter what kind of party the engagement party is.

• SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2012
    Ditto PP, engagement parties are not gift giving occasions. FWIW, the only gifts we got at our e party were a few bottles of wine and a couple of checks, so I suppose we could have stocked the bar anyway without requesting particular gifts.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards