Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Thank you!

Re: Thank you!

• Options
    Any time you feel yourself panicking leave the room for a couple minutes. Tell a good friend, your mom or whoever so they know whats up. You need to do whats comfortable for you. Good luck! My shower is tomorrow and I dont even want to go to it but not for the same reasons. Also dont drink any alcohol it will only intensify a panic attack or anxiety attack only water and juices.
  • Options
    I have a couple of thoughts...I haven't been exactly where you are, because my anxiety isn't as quite severe as what you are decribing and being the center of attention isn't a trigger for it, but I absolutely know what you mean about terrible bouts of anxiety coming out of nowhere and suddenly having to deal with them.  Please don't blame yourself or think that you should just be able to get ahold of yourself like you said; anxiety (like depression) doesn't work that way.  It's caused by things misfiring in your brain, not by anything you can control.  Though, as your doctor as already told you, you can help fix imbalances through things like yoga, meditation, and a healthy diet, and therapy can help you learn techniques for coping with the anxiety (which is at its worst when it's new and you have no idea how to deal with it). 

Please take care of yourself.  As far as the shower goes, remember that your own self-care needs to come first, before putting on a happy face for other people.  If you need to call it off, make that decision based on what's right for you, not on what you think other people will think.  You need to put yourself and your own mental health first.
  • Options
    I agree with leaving the room if you need to.  You can just get up refill your drink or use the bathroom.  Just get a moment to re collect yourself.  I've never had full blown anxiety but had dealt with some which was brought on by environment.  

What I can remember is avoid caffeine, alcohol.  Also maybe take a long walk before going it really does help.  Or some other form of exercise. 

Not sure if you would have time but maybe you could talk to your Dr.  See if she can prescribe something you don't have to take on a daily basis but in social situations you could choose to take it if needed.  

I really can't stress enough how much exercise can improve your mental state.  But like prior post said, don't be hard on yourself.  It is manageable you just need to learn your triggers and what will work for you.  

Good Luck.  
    85image 71image 14image
  • Options
    egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    Agree with PP, see if there is something that your doctor can prescribe for the short term.  The one you already have a prescription for you will likely need to take for a week or two to get the full benefit.  My doctor prescribed a medication for short term situations, it's not meant to be taken every day, but it will help me feel calmer if I'm in a particularly angst causing situation.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_terrified-of-my-shower-this-sunday-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:7655a915-86f8-40c2-844d-01ec76af7e84Post:ed333de9-c492-4c34-98ef-76d2bb154df8">Re: TERRIFIED of my shower this Sunday! Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TERRIFIED of my shower this Sunday! Help! : Thank you so much for your helpful advice. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to reply :)  My maid of honour is well aware of the situation, and I do plan to leave the room if/when needed. <strong>But I am most terrified of the gift opening, when all eyes will be on me!! :</strong>( How to get through the gift opening??? Ugh, I just want to call this whole thing off.. which makes me sad because I was really looking forward to my shower not too long ago :( Thank you again for the reply, and good luck at your shower tomorrow!
    Posted by LateAugust[/QUOTE]

Something you can do is have everyone take a gift they didn't bring, and on the count of three (or whatever) you all open a gift that you didn't bring.

This makes gift-opening quick, easy, and kind of fun for the guests who can see what the box holds.  Then you can go around the room and the person who brought the gift can talk about it while someone else is holding it and you can read the card.

I would imagine people who don't loooove attention would like this method.
  • Options
    Just try to maintain perspective. These are, presumably, people who love and care about you - not strangers. You're human, you're going through something difficult, be honest and upfront. It's must less awkward to say, "Hi, you might see me acting a bit odd, don't be alarmed!" than to just act odd and have everyone wonder why. It will put everyone at ease. 

For me, one of the largest hurdles to get over with regard to anxiety is that everyone will see me as weak or silly for having the anxiety. Once I get over the first step of informing people about the anxiety, feeling their love and support, the anxiety starts to subside. 

And I like pearlaqua's suggestion. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards