Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Self-addressed: When you are asked to address your shower thank-you note

I came across this on the Emily POst site today: http://www.etiquettedaily.com/2010/11/self-addressed-when-the-bride-asks-you-to-address-your-thank-you-note/

How do you feel about being asked to self-address your thank-you at showers?  I see this more and more to the point that I think it is becoming the norm.  But after reading this I may ask my MOH and the family friend that are throwing my showers to kindly not do this.  I am split on this.
Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Self-addressed: When you are asked to address your shower thank-you note

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have only seen this done, once, at a baby shower. The shower was huge and the hostess was trying to make it easier for the mom2be to write the TYs. I'd like to think the mom2be had nothing to do with this idea, because it's tacky, IMO. A few of the guests didn't take very kindly to this idea. If the guests have taken their time to shop for and wrap a gift, then the TY is the recipients responsibility.

A better idea would be to buy the guest of honor an address book. Ask all the guests to fill in their correct names and addresses. That would be a nice little extra gift for her.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Kind of annoying, but in the grand scheme of things, pretty far down on the list of things that irritate me. 

For FSIL's shower, the BMs passed around an address book, like Maire suggested.  I thought that was a great idea.  I actually really would like a physical address book, because it's a pain only having my addresses electronically.
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dislike this a ton. I take the time to shop, buy a gift, wrap it and drive to the shower taking time out of my weekend to do so and getting thanks is contingent upon ME writing out my TY card envelope?! If only I could say that the bride had to wrap her own gift. FWIW, I was just at a shower yesterday that did this. The notes were on the other side of the room from where I was, DD was a handful and the party ran late and I had to leave before it was over since it was a two hour drive home. I forgot to write out the envelope and I have to wonder why the MOB thought it was a good idea.
  • Options
    kgorman307kgorman307 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why would this be necessary? You obvioulsy already have the guests' addresses if they received their invitations to the shower.

I don't get it. Laziness??
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
     I actually really would like a physical address book, because it's a pain only having my addresses electronically.

Shortly after my daughter became engaged, she and FI bought a home together.  As a housewarming/wedding planning gift, I bought an address book and large calendar.  I then emailed everyone on all sides of all families, and asked for addresses, (snail mail and email), landline and cell phone numbers, and significant dates for each member of that family and/or friend.

I filled the address book with all the pertinent information.  This address book also contained a small calendar, on which I jotted all significant events/names.

On the large (think: post on fridge) calendar, I transferred all significant dates, events, holidays, and (known) wedding planning needs (appointments, due dates, etc.).  With everything else they had to adjust to, having those dates at-a-glance helped them alot!

• Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thats where I disagree with you Retread. I'd like to think the guest of honor had nothing to do with that - unless you're referring to rethinking your friendship with the hostess. ;-)
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never seen this done at a bridal shower, and I agree with pp's that it's lazy and rude. All the guests took the time to shop for a gift, wrap it, and attend the bridal shower. The least the bride can do is write out a heartfelt thank you note and address it herself. There's no reason the bride wouldn't already have all of their addresses considering she needed them to give to the host for the bridal shower invites and the wedding invites.

I actually have a traditional address book like the one my mom has always kept underneath the phone in her kitchen. It came in super handy for all of the wedding related invites and thank you notes.
  • Options
    deitra86deitra86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's funny how depending on where you are from, depends on how you will view this.  I have been to many showers, both bridal and baby.  And this is done at every one of them, so to me it is not a big deal.  They usually do this and then collect them and draw one out to win a prize  Definitely not a big deal.  It takes me two seconds to write my address, while the bride will have to look up my address and then write it down.  So it makes it slightly easier on them. 
  • Options
    jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I saw it once at a baby shower and think it's extremely tacky and rude.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow - I'm kind of shocked by all the responses, because this doesn't bother me a bit.  I've had to write my own at a few showers, and thought it was a great idea - it never even occurred to me that it might be rude! 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    lindsay5432lindsay5432 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a problem when I'm asked to do this, but I told the hosts of my shower that I would prefer to write all the ty notes myself for my own shower.

I have heard of one thing even worse than this -- my friend went to a bridal shower where the bride handed out the thank-you notes to everyone as they came in.  They were not personalized in any way!!  Yikes, now that is bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards