Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Can I decline?

My FI's grandmother wants to throw me a shower. I don't know anything about showers, but from what I do know, they're gift-giving parties with silly games like the toilet-paper dress. FI and I don't have any desire for gifts (we had a hard enough time coming up with anything for our wedding registry), and I loathe silly games. Plus, everyone she invites will be FIs family or people I barely know, as all of my family and friends are OOT and not coming into town until the wedding. Can I decline her offer to throw me a shower? How can I do so and still be nice? 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Can I decline?

• Options
    I think it's fine to tell her thanks but no thanks. However, you could consider suggesting a variation on a traditional shower. My FMIL just threw me a recipe shower, where guests brought a favorite recipe rather than a gift. There were no games or anything cheesy and I left with a binder full of interesting recipes to try. It was also mostly her family and friends whom I hadn't met. It was a nice way to meet people who are important to her, and now there will be less unfamiliar faces at my wedding.
  • Options
    I would let her throw the shower and just tell her what youw want. No games, no gifts. You could just do a luncheon instead and aks everyone to bring something to exchange with other guest, so the focus is not on you but on everyone else.

If you truly don't want the shower, then let her know you don't feel comfortable and would rather not but ask her if she ould liek to help with the rehearsal dinner planning instead.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards