Pre-wedding Parties

just another engagement party question...

so you can't host your own engagement party. gotcha.

FI and i want to host a 'get together' with our friends to celebrate our forthcoming nuptials. timing wise, it would also coincide with my 25th birthday so we were thinking of making it a gettogether to kind of celebrate both. i get that your friends/family members are supposed to host something for you to celebrate our engagement. we're seeing all our family over the holidays so no point in being redundant, and our friends are all over the place with no connection to eachother, so I just don't see one of my friends asking to host and invite 30 people on my behalf who she doesn't have on facebook to contact.

would it be appropriate just to host some sort of 'get together' to celebrate both my 25th/engagement? we wanted to just have people to my house and have some food/drinks and would hire some entertainment. just want to get people together, so there is some sort of connection with people, especially bridal party, as we move forward with things.

thoughts? ps -- everyone who would be coming is young/mostly grad students who are dirt broke (like us!) so gifts would be completely out of the question for everyone.

Re: just another engagement party question...

• Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Why not do just a birthday party?
  • edited December 2011
    because we just got engaged too.. and that way we could include FI's friends in it.
  • edited December 2011
    Your fi could host a birthday party for you. Wouldn't that be sweet?

You may invite your friends to a gathering any time you like. Just don't call it an engagement party, or have an engagement cake or anything like that.Most likely, your guests will offer congratulations or propose a toast in honor of your engagement, especially if it's the first time they are seeing you since you've become engaged. That's fine, because it is their choice to do so.

edited for grammar

• Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_just-another-engagement-party-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:8c723179-645c-4eb9-bf81-c32ec1675d5fPost:08b3c4ac-46df-4f9d-b3e1-a79a5377eb08">Re: just another engagement party question...</a>:
    [QUOTE]because we just got engaged too.. and that way we could include FI's friends in it.
    Posted by colz87[/QUOTE]
    Disguising an engagement party as a get-together to celebrate your engagement isn't any better than throwing yourself an engagement party because what you're doing is throwing yourself an engagement party, but trying to be sneaky and calling it calling else.
    Have a party. Have ten. Just leave any mention of "wedding" out of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards