Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Engagement party is today! Kind of nervous

FI proposed to me at my bakery, and my employees were super thrilled and offered to throw me an engagment party at the bakery! They got my mother involved (my sister works for me so it wasn't difficult) and they've been planning this whole thing. So I was shooed home early so they can prepare everything without my interference. They've kept everything a secret from me, and now that it's happening in a few hours I'm actually a little nervous. I love a good party, but I don't like to go overboard. I just like gathering together, listening to music, eating good food and drinking good booze. I don't like big big parties that are over the top or hoity toity.

I'm also worried about FI's family mingling with my friends, employees, and family. My people can sometimes be a rowdy bunch, and FI's family is... how do I put it nicely... snooty. FI's brother has also been making noise about coming to the party (and the wedding) when he and FI have been estranged for years, mostly due to his addition problems. I also don't want him there (if FI wanted him there I would be supportive, but FI does not want a relationship with his brother if he's not sober) and I'm worried about him making a scene if he comes.

Over the past few weeks my fibro has been acting up and my pain level has been pretty high lately, and I'm hoping that it doesn't ruin my night. I know if my pain is so bad it ruins my night it'll probably ruin other people's night too, some of them worrying about me or upset that I'm in pain, and some (ahem FMIL) will be cranky that I'm not being a perfect, gracious bride and party guest. So I'm just trying to relax, have a smoke, and play with my doggies. I've got Vicodin ready if the pain really gets bad, so worst case scenario, I can at least be high for my party. Tongue Out
Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Vacation tickers fibromyalgia Pictures, Images and Photos Visit The Nest! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Nest!

Re: Engagement party is today! Kind of nervous

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_engagement-party-is-today-kind-of-nervous?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:972b51bd-562e-4603-9a07-2c7d82ea2db6Post:fb1e6828-fd88-4e0a-8031-5b86d4822188">Re:Engagement party is today! Kind of nervous</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow. Your worried about your FI's family mingling with your friends and family because you think they're snotty? Doesn't that make YOU snotty? Judging up is just as bad as judging down.
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that she knows her future in-laws better than you do. For all you know they could be snooty (she said snooty, not snotty).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_engagement-party-is-today-kind-of-nervous?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:972b51bd-562e-4603-9a07-2c7d82ea2db6Post:a171349b-696f-4834-b561-c1e11faae605">Re:Engagement party is today! Kind of nervous</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Engagement party is today! Kind of nervous:In Response to Re:Engagement party is today! Kind of nervous:Wow. Your worried about your FI's family mingling with your friends and family because you think they're snotty? Doesn't that make YOU snotty? Judging up is just as bad as judging down.Posted by Sleeper2013I'm pretty sure that she knows her future inlaws better than you do. For all you know they could be snooty she said snooty, not snotty. Posted by zoozoe And that makes her judgement okay?

If her inlaws truly are snooty, does that make her judgmental or does it make her realistic?

Infact, aren't you being judgmental toward her? Aren't you casting judgment on her by calling her and assuming her to be judgmental?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_engagement-party-is-today-kind-of-nervous?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:972b51bd-562e-4603-9a07-2c7d82ea2db6Post:fb1e6828-fd88-4e0a-8031-5b86d4822188">Re:Engagement party is today! Kind of nervous</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow. Your worried about your FI's family mingling with your friends and family because you think they're snotty? Doesn't that make YOU snotty? Judging up is just as bad as judging down.

As someone with kinda snooty in-laws myself, I think you're seriously overreacting here.  "Snooty" (as opposed to "snotty, which would have been a bit out of line) is really quite a mild value judgement.  It's pretty much just a descriptor. 

Also, frankly, class and wealth distinctions in the country are a real thing; there ARE sometimes tensions between people of dramatically different class and wealth upbringings, and there IS a potential for judgement and tension when people of very different cultures (whether the difference in their culture comes from race, ethnicity, or class) come together in an environment like that.  To call her out for being worried about bringing people of different cultures together is either incredibly unfair of you, or you've honestly never experienced it before, in which case you're being really narrow-minded.
  • Options
    charbakes - Don't worry, most adults have had to deal with snooty and snotty people at one time or another. Once things get under way, I hope you'll be able to relax and enjoy yourself. I'm sure your people will be able to handle it. Have a great time at your engagement party.

• Options
    I don't think saying my FI's family is snooty is judgmental. I say it based on evidence with how they've acted in the past. They have a history of being elitist. His family generally does not come to my bakery because, and I quote, "We can afford to pay more, so why not go to a professional?" Umm, I thought I WAS a professional? They've used various sorts of slurs in the past that direct a great deal of my staff- ethnically, culturally, gender-wise, and economically. His mother has told me how awful it is to have a biracial baby... after I showed her photos of my newborn, biracial niece. And don't even get me started on what they've said about vegetarians... even though my entire family, a great deal of my friends and staff, and THEIR SON are all vegetarians, and they're well aware of it.

As one PP said, yes, it is extremely judgemental to judge someone as judgmental.

His brother did not turn up, and other than a few snide comments from his mother and father (as I had predicted) it was a very lovely party, and I had a good time. My employees made delicious mini wedding cakes that everyone (even FMIL) loved, and it was overall very tasteful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Vacation tickers fibromyalgia Pictures, Images and Photos Visit The Nest! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    Aw, it's so mean to hate on the vegetarians! Lots in my family are vegan so I get it, and I think it's so stupid. Go be mean to people that are addicted to fast food, amirite? ;) 

I think you should calm down and enjoy youself though. Worst case scenario is you and your FI have a funny story to tell later on. His family is going to be your family soon, and you better figure out how to laugh about it or you're gonna spend your whole life crying! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards