Pre-wedding Parties

Having a Wedding Celebration with Family PRIOR to the DW??

We are going on a family vacation next July to Myrtle Beach and having a small, intimate ceremony on the beach with just the family on vacation with us, both our immediate families and all the kids.

We were thinking about having an AHR, something small, at home possible or at my MIL's. Would it be completely improper to do something prior to our vacation and the actually ceremony?

We are time restrictions when we get back based on our work schedules and our kids schedules. We would be taking a honeymoon some point later in the year next year.

Re: Having a Wedding Celebration with Family PRIOR to the DW??

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes - the AHR should be in honor of what's taken place - not what will take place.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, you really can't have a celebration of your marriage if you're not married yet.
    I am certainly not suggesting that this will happen to you, but weddings have been known to be called off~even very, very close to the ceremony.

I was scheduled to sing at a wedding.  I went to the rehearsal the night before the wedding.  We all rehearsed and went home.  The next morning the bride's mother called me to say that the wedding was off.

So no, you can't have a prewedding celebration unless you call it a shower. 
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes.  If you have it before the wedding, it's a pre-wedding party, and nobody can be invited who isn't invited to the wedding.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Prior to wedding, you can have any kind of open house, BBQ, picnic, potluck, family reunion....

But you can't call it an AHR and do AHR things, because it's not.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with others, if it is prior to the actual wedding then it needs to be called a shower or maybe an engagement party.  It would be in appropriate I think to throw yourselves a reception before you're even officially married.
    Vicki & Ali - 3/5/11 Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards