Pre-wedding Parties

when to have bridal shower?.....kinda bummed.

I moved from east to west coast 6 months ago and i am going to my hometown for the holidays.  So all my friends and family who are invited to the wedding live on the east coast and so the only time to have a bridal shower is between christmas and new years.  really sucky timing to have a wedding event.i always said that i knew it was bad timing and no one's fault, and that as a result i would be happy with whoever showed up and how small the party was.but now that its getting closer and half my bridesmaids can't be there. well, i can't help feeling bummed about it.  i chose to have my shower on Dec. 26th, thinking its a day off (in Canada it is) and so people would be free.  But i didn't consider that people go out of town for xmas to visit family and aren't coming back until a few days after xmas.So on the 26th, 3 of my BMs can't be there.  My MOH (sister) is of course there as she is organizing it. and one of my BMs (who is my best friend above the others) will be there.but then we also invited like 25 other people and so far only 7 have RSVP'd (and that includes the ones i mentioned already plus my mom, aunt, + family friend -who can come any weekend).Some people are saying i should have had the shower on Jan. 2nd, as more people would be back in town. Now i am afraid they are right. but invitations have been sent.  My sister says she can email/call everyone to let them know the change of date.  but i am not sure if i should change the date or keep it as it is.....help!!

Re: when to have bridal shower?.....kinda bummed.

• Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have the shower on Dec. 26 as planned, then organize some kind of get-together on Jan 2 too - like a pizza party.
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Kristin.  Have the second party - just not as a shower.  They really aren't missing too much by missing the actual shower, and unless presents are your primary concern (I hope not!)  this way you also get to see your friends.
  • edited December 2011
    no, its not about the presents at all.  its just wanting to have a shower.  i don't even need or want presents. i just wanted a fun girly shower with all my friends there where we could play shower games, eat food and be excited about my wedding.   on any other occasion, i have to keep in mind that "no one cares about my wedding as my much as i do".  so this was an occasion that would actually be about my wedding and i was looking forward to it.

i decided to check with some of the people that matter the most to me (as a lot of have not even given answers), and see if they can even come or not.  i will make a final decision from there.  thing is, for sure my absolute best friend cannot definitely come on Jan. 2nd and she can definitely come on Dec.  26
  • edited December 2011
    Sandra - again, if it's not about presents, then don't try to make it a bridal shower.  A bridal shower is really only fun for the bride.  Most people hate those games.  Scan the boards and you'll see that most people dread bridal shower games.  I would still just have a little non-wedding-related get-together with your friends. 
  • edited December 2011
    If I had RSVPed for Dec 26 (which is a time they could have made other holiday plans) I would be kind of upset you just cancelled that and then reschedule for 1/2. Just leave it on 12/26 and if someone wants to throw you a second party on 1/2 go for it, but people won't necessarily be able to make that time either.
  • lilcasserslilcassers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Plan a "girls weekend" if no one decides to have a shower for you. This way you can have a low-key kind of event that isn't necessarily a bachelorette party. You can invite family, friends, grandma, aunts, etc. Do something like lunch and then a get-together at a house or a day at the spa.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-showerkinda-bummed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:b188721c-bf8c-4f4e-acc3-293c5051b700Post:daaf6edb-fa5c-4ad0-be33-6261e5a4ea76">Re: when to have bridal shower?.....kinda bummed.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Plan a "girls weekend" if no one decides to have a shower for you. Posted by lilcassers[/QUOTE]

oh, my sister IS planning my shower already. so my post wasn't about what type of party to have, of if there was even going to be a party....it was about WHEN to have it.  because its tricky during the holidays.  anyway, i made a decision, so i am happy now. thanks everyone!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-showerkinda-bummed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:b188721c-bf8c-4f4e-acc3-293c5051b700Post:b4c7d3b2-2ada-4753-8e12-ca3e19c79120">Re: when to have bridal shower?.....kinda bummed.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sandra - again, if it's not about presents, then don't try to make it a bridal shower. 
    Posted by marissa_claire[/QUOTE]

<div>Marissa - again, its not about what kind of party i am having. if you re-read my original post, its about WHEN to have the shower. i thought that part was clear. </div><div>thanks anyway!</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with sister2groom. I would be upset if after RSVP'ing yes to a party (and potentially buying a gift) I received a call saying that it had been moved. Keep it on the 26th and hang out with your friends on the 2nd. For what it's worth- one of my best friends goft married right after finals week in med school. I hosted her shower and the only date that worked for her was right before finals started. Out of 26 invited guests, only about 6 or 7 were able to make it. We still had a great time and my friend was incredibly happy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards