Pre-wedding Parties

Re: A

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That is a rough situation. How far out is your wedding?

Did your FMIL know that you were not inviting the extended family to the wedding? I know you gave her a guest list, but did you discuss this with her? I don't your family situation, but is it possible that your FMIL didn't pass this information alone because she wants that family involved and figured this would force that to happen? Did these other family members already find out they aren't invited to your wedding? If this will be how they find out you def need to be sensitive.

Either way I think you and FI need to go to her with this situation, because ultimately it is her family that is going to be insulted. I think she needs to be involved in the damage control.

You are either going to have to explain the mistake or add them to your wedding. Ignoring it would be super rude. It is possible to have the FMIL or FI call the extended family, explain the mistake and how unfortunate it is that you simply could not accomodate more people at your wedding. I would also suggest that during this call that it is made clear that you would LOVE to celebrate with this extended family at the shower and that you do not want any gifts (in a polite way of course), which might smooth it over a bit.

Good luck.
  • Options
    danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Either you or your FI need to contact her right away and explain what is going on.  You guys need to make it clear to the extended family members that they can't be invited.  It sounds like you know they expect to be invited to the wedding and are just letting it slide when what you really need to do is start correcting it as you hear things said.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards