Pre-wedding Parties

Quick Question about a bachelorette party

I'm a little confused about that I should do.  I hope you gals can help.  I am usually over on theBump but I think you would better suited for this question :)
So...a couple of weeks ago I received an email inviting me to a bachelorette party for a co-worker.  I was a little confused b/c I can't recall receiving a wedding invitation but I changed email addresses and I do remember receiveing a STDate email, like, a million years ago so I'm just going to assume the invites went out electronically and I missed it....

Anyway....

The ladies hosting the bachelorette party have designed a "garden party" theme and asked each person to bring their favorite cocktail.  I am PG but I didn't mind contributing at all.  It didn't even raise an eyebrow with me.  In fact, I even emailed back and asked if I could contribute any food, etc...

The party is today.  Yesterday, I received an email stating that the ladies hosting the party are incurring costs and participants should bring money with them to contribute to the party fund.  Now I'm totally turned off and I don't know if I want to go.  I spent $50 on making cocktails (which I won't be drinking) and $25 on a perennial (sp?) plant - the bride just put in a new garden...hence, the garden party theme and now I'm being asked for cash.  I don't even want to go now. 

Am I being unreasonable and a giant baby or is this just tacky?

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Quick Question about a bachelorette party

• AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, you're being reasonable.  I think it's kind of you to have done so much considering you aren't sure if you are even invited to the wedding.

I'd email the hosts back and say something to the effect of "I've put together a drink and plant for this party.  I'm uncomfortable contributing more."

Depending your level of comfort with these women, I may or may not add something like "if you were interested in rounding up money from us for this party in addition to everything else, then that should have been made clear from the beginning."

But, that's - ya know - up to you :-)
  • edited December 2011
    I would agree that it is tacky.  They shouldn't have sent an e-mail asking you to bring cash.  Did they clarify how much to bring?  Or what costs will be split?  Also, how close are you to the co-worker?  I wouldn't want to spend over $100 on a bachelorette party for one of my co-workers but I wouldn't mind if it was one of my friends.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

That would be a big fat no for me.  Don't feel bad, you're not in the wrong here.

• edited December 2011
    I am curious what you ended up doing?! Did u go? Give money? If it matters, i agree with you. Totally tacky.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards