Pre-wedding Parties
Options

What type of party?

A lot of our guests are family, family from out of town. We have a few very close friends too, but a lot of people I know ask about going to the wedding and reception.
We are on a really fixed budget and some of these people asking to go, I/we are not real close to.
I am trying to think of the best type of party and how to announce/invite?
I am thinking A pool/hangout type party at my home town local antique hotel.... where people we aren't inviting to the wedding but ask about it and us and gifts and stuff, can come throughout the day to hangout with us, have drinks and dessert.
Does this seem ok? What kind of party would it be? Before or after wedding? How do I word the invite and registry info if people want to know about giving gifts?

Re: What type of party?

• Options
    bunni727bunni727 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_what-type-of-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:d22dc5ef-bf05-47bf-ac98-651297d56e48Post:34b51800-c149-459a-bc16-b211fe73293e">What type of party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A lot of our guests are family, family from out of town. We have a few very close friends too, but a lot of people I know ask about going to the wedding and reception. We are on a really fixed budget and some of these people asking to go, I/we are not real close to. I am trying to think of the best type of party and how to announce/invite? I am thinking A pool/hangout type party at my home town local antique hotel.... where people we aren't inviting to the wedding but ask about it and us and gifts and stuff, can come throughout the day to hangout with us, have drinks and dessert. Does this seem ok? What kind of party would it be? Before or after wedding? How do I word the invite and registry info if people want to know about giving gifts?
    Posted by abbeskk[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you are asking, so I'll try to cover all the bases.

It is okay to not invite everyone you know to a wedding. If the guest list is final, say "Unfortunatly we were not able to invite everyone we would have liked." Giving reasons will open it up for debate (Budget? I can pay for my plate!--that type of thing), which is not what you need.

You can definitely have a party for your friends that were not invited to the wedding. I would have it well after you return from your honeymoon, and not say or do anything even remotely wedding or gift related. A party at a hotel with drinks and dessert sounds fun, just make sure it does not overlap a mealtime and you are properly hosting everyone. I don't think you need to call it anything other than a party on the invites: "Please join us for Drinks, Dessert, and Dancing on this date at this time at this place."

Everyone invited to wedding related events must also be invited to the wedding.

I would not give out registry info unless someone asked, and then only by word of mouth. It is okay to put registry info on shower invites, but again, shower attendees have to be invited to the wedding.

Hope this helps!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yeah, what bunni said.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone that makes sense. Only wedding people to wedding parties. Don't have to invite everyone I know to wedding. Have a fun party later after wedding and word of mouth registry info to them if asked about. Thanks :
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_what-type-of-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:d22dc5ef-bf05-47bf-ac98-651297d56e48Post:b9a6aa72-65e9-4d91-a115-e614a7538bb8">Re: What type of party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What type of party? : I'm not sure what you are asking, so I'll try to cover all the bases. It is okay to not invite everyone you know to a wedding. If the guest list is final, say "Unfortunatly we were not able to invite everyone we would have liked." Giving reasons will open it up for debate (Budget? I can pay for my plate!--that type of thing), which is not what you need. You can definitely have a party for your friends that were not invited to the wedding. I would have it well after you return from your honeymoon, and not say or do anything even remotely wedding or gift related. A party at a hotel with drinks and dessert sounds fun, just make sure it does not overlap a mealtime and you are properly hosting everyone. I don't think you need to call it anything other than a party on the invites: "Please join us for Drinks, Dessert, and Dancing on this date at this time at this place." Everyone invited to wedding related events must also be invited to the wedding. I would not give out registry info unless someone asked, and then only by word of mouth. It is okay to put registry info on shower invites, but again, shower attendees have to be invited to the wedding. Hope this helps!
    Posted by bunni727[/QUOTE]

Really Cool idea...

<a href="http://www.mysticalmomentsindia.com/?utm_source=sco&utm_medium=linkbuilding&utm_compaign=neha" rel="nofollow"> couple weddings india </a>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards