Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Local Grocery Groom's Cake

Did anyone get there groom's cake not the bridal cake from a local grocery store? I'm thinking about doing this instead of going with my wedding cake baker because our wedding is small about 75 people and the smallest groom's cake they offer feeds 175 and is $300 dollars. Which is more than the bridal cupcakes that we will have. I have the stuff for his cake (it will be Kansas City CHIEFS) but I'm think I'm just going to go to Tom Thumb or Alberston's and pick up a round cake and just serve it at rehearsal dinner. He doesn't know about his cake or my plans to surprise him with it. Any thoughts ladies? I really appreciate it. Thanks

Re: Local Grocery Groom's Cake

• Options
    mandasue178mandasue178 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did this. We had more guests, but we got a full sheet cake (chocolate) decorated as a football field with a big Cowboys star in the middle of it. Never mentioned the word wedding. It was about $40 (and WAY more cake than you would need). I ordered it about a week before the wedding and hubs and the best man picked it up that morning. 
    Becoming My Mother
    Names for our Currently Non-Existent Baby Anniversary
    Dx: PCOS 3/11
    **TTC buddies with Browneyedhunni85**
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't do this for the wedding but DH got me a b'day cake from Tom Thumb last year and it was good. I had a wedding about your size and we did a bride's and groom's cake from Paninis and it was way too much cake (and they wanted me to get another layer on the bride's cake!). It was delicious and worth it and we froze a huge porton of the grooms cake and have enjoyed it thereafter, but with a lot of bakeries, I think you are right on, you will have way too much cake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting my cupcakes from Painin's also and the grooms cake was suppose to come from there but I'm definatly going to go with Tom Thumb because it would be just to much cake plus we are having a chocolate fountain and popcorn/candy favors at the reception.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds good. Those cupcakes will be yummy and I think the Tom Thumb groom's cake will be good too. I LOVE LOVE LOVED my bridal cake. We splurged on the groom's cake and it was so delicious but I think so few people ate it after all the other food and cake, it was just too much. Are you getting different flavored cupcakes or all the same?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used the Tom Thumb is West Plano for our grooms cake. I would not recommend them... just that location though. They forgot to make our cake. When we went to pick it up, the order was still "sitting on the future order board"
  • Options
    appletango85appletango85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I *LOVE* Tom Thumb cake! It is sooo good. At least the one by my parents house. I haven't really had cake from other Tom Thumb stores.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We will have 6 flavors of cupcakes. I can't wait! Thanks for your responses ladies.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards