Pre-wedding Parties

The distance between families!!

I've come to a road block in the planning of our wedding. My fiance and I live in Northern Michigan, where the wedding and reception are being held. However, his family lives in Southern Michigan and time is really not on our sides. I'm having trouble coming up with ideas and time lines for throwing the plethura of showers and parties that go along with wedding planning, Like the bridal shower, bachelor and bachelorette paries. Sure, they only live three to four hours away, but their work schedules and ours are really restricting. I was wondering if there are any other brides out there who've had a similar problem, and how the situation was dealt with. I am aware that my wedding is 14 months away, but it is important for all of us to figure this out so we can all plan accordingly with our jobs. Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks brides!!!

Re: The distance between families!!

• KfmarriedKfmarried member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, first of all... 

You don't plan any of those parties.  If someone decides to throw you a bachelorette party and/ or bridal shower, they will coordinate with you to find a time that works for you. 

Additionally, those parties usually take place MUCH closer to the wedding so you really have plenty of time. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    Love is friendship on fire!
    2012 Reading Challenge
    Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 52 books.
    hide
  • edited December 2011
    I agree you dont throw your own party, however you can help to pick a date of the party, which is what sounds like you are trying to do. 

You do have some time and usually those parties take place closer to the wedding date, but if it makes sense to have them earlier then there is nothing wrong with that either.  What I would do is suggest some dates that work for you and let whoever is hosting/planning the party pick a date.  3 - 4 hours is not that big of a deal and is certainly drivable in one day.  Although you want to accomodate everyone you probably wont be able to so your best bet is to agree on a day that works for you and whoever is hosting the party.  If it is important for people to be there, then they will rearrange their schedule to make the date. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ejheartejheart member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as the showers go, I would hope (and pray) that someone in the other family's area would want to throw you a shower and someone in your area would want to throw you a shower. If you do have people offer, maybe you could do a couples' shower for one and a bridal shower for the other. Obviously you have no way of making that happen, or knowing if it will, but it sounds like it would be easiest for everyone involved (as far as the traveling goes).

If you only end up having one, and people on either side complain, you can courteously explain that you are grateful to have events being thrown in your honor at all and that the place was the choice of the host/hostess. People will understand for showers (and any of the other events that you mentioned) and if it is that big of a deal to them then maybe they will offer to host something in the other area for you.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Just like with anything else, whoever throws your shower will have to coordinate with VIPs, pick a date, and then hope that most people are able to clear their schedules with proper notice.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards