Pre-wedding Parties

Bride hosting own bridal shower

I love planning parties for friends.. I want to plan my own shower for my friends and family where I live, but my mom said to wait and see if anyone throws me one.. Should I host my own or wait?

Re: Bride hosting own bridal shower

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No way. 

Even if no one offers to throw you a shower you should never host your own.  It comes across as rather rude and gift grabby.
  • edited December 2011
    Listen to your mom!

• soozy87soozy87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, not cool. Don't host your own shower. Like PP said, looks to gift grabby.

Wait until some of your friends or relatives get engaged, then throw them great showers!
    ~May 21,2011~
  • blue1981blue1981 member
    edited December 2011
    Sorry I agree with PPs, you cannot host your own bridal shower..
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • jjlove1421jjlove1421 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont think its appropriate just wait and see if anybody offers like your maid of honor, bridesmaids ,sisters, friends or even your mom wouldnt be a bad idea

• edited December 2011
    Yes, wait and see. But if you want to get everyone together for a "girls night" and not a shower (with gifts and all), I think that's perfectly fine.
  • mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bride-hosting-own-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:e1871804-c112-4d9e-8c8b-346faca8b73dPost:74df9244-2a90-42e6-a5ed-847d60ed3919">Re: Bride hosting own bridal shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]No way.  Even if no one offers to throw you a shower you should never host your own.  It comes across as rather rude and gift grabby.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • divaMOHdivaMOH member
    edited December 2011
    If you want to be involved with the "planning" part of things for purposes of event design (how you want it to look, what you want to happen), then you can considering doing what my friend is doing.

I'm her MOH, but she picked the date and venue with her mom because she is super picky with food and location.  Her mom is paying for the venue, but us (her BM's) are planning it all according to how she told me she wants it.

Talk with your family about something like this, or your bridesmaids (whoever would actually host it). If you want your BMs to host it, tell that to them.  WE really DO want to know what it is that you expect of us lol! I flat out asked my friend, are we planning your shower or are you and your mom planning it?

At the same time, don't demand that your BMs host your shower.  Just express it to them that you would like to give them the option to take it on, but you would like to be involved with the planning process.  

By the sounds of it, since you love planning parties, you might want or expect yours to be a certain way, so this could be a way to be involved. 
  • mcskatcatmcskatcat member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bride-hosting-own-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:e1871804-c112-4d9e-8c8b-346faca8b73dPost:7259121f-c1cf-4118-95bc-6849d3ab0944">Re: Bride hosting own bridal shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you want to be involved with the "planning" part of things for purposes of event design (how you want it to look, what you want to happen), then you can considering doing what my friend is doing. I'm her MOH, but she picked the date and venue with her mom because she is super picky with food and location.  Her mom is paying for the venue, but us (her BM's) are planning it all according to how she told me she wants it. <strong>Talk with your family about something like this, or your bridesmaids (whoever would actually host it). If you want your BMs to host it, tell that to them.  WE really DO want to know what it is that you expect of us lol! I flat out asked my friend, are we planning your shower or are you and your mom planning it? At the same time, don't demand that your BMs host your shower.  Just express it to them that you would like to give them the option to take it on, but you would like to be involved with the planning process.</strong>   By the sounds of it, since you love planning parties, you might want or expect yours to be a certain way, so this could be a way to be involved. 
    Posted by divaMOH[/QUOTE]

I can't agree with this.  Demanding or not, don't bring up the subject of a bridal shower to your friends and family.  If someone wants to host a shower for you, they have to be proactive about it.  And most likely someone will.  But it's really inappropriate to even hint that someone should be expected to throw a party in your honor where you get lots of presents. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards