Pre-wedding Parties

Don't Want a Shower

One of my bridesmaids was trying to insist yesterday evening that I need to have a shower.  I hate to be a party pooper, but I just don't enjoy social gatherings and I really don't want a shower.  Everyone who is most important to me (best friend, sisters, cousins, grandmas, mother, aunts) are out of town and wouldn't be able to attend.  I have been invited to many showers for people I didn't know well or wasn't close with and felt uncomfortable with the obligation it put on me, and I don't want to put anyone in that situation.  I don't really care about getting gifts either.  Any cute bridal items I have seen that I liked, I purchased for myself.  I have been out of my parents' house for 12 years and my fiance has owned his house for two and a half years.  We really don't need anything.  I don't even want any upgrades...when my toaster breaks I'll buy a new one, but it still works and I don't need a new one.  I feel like many of items I received at a bridal shower would be junk I don't really need and not what I would have chosen for myself.

Am I crazy that I don't want/need a shower? How do I explain this to people who might ask? (Aside from asking fiance not to aid and abet).
Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.

Re: Don't Want a Shower

• brilibby4brilibby4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you don't want a shower, just nicely decline.
  • Soon2BMrsClaySoon2BMrsClay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recently went through the exact same thing; and I simply potitely declined but said I would be down with a rockin' bachelorette ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • goobersinlovegoobersinlove member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a "party pooper" too. Haha! I don't want a shower either. Or a bachelorette party for that matter.  We aren't registering as we've already been living together for two years and have everything, my mom lives 3000 miles away and likely would not be able to attend, and I don't have any really good girlfiends anyway. However, for several reasons, we decided not to have a wedding party so I don't have to worry about a BM throwing me one. =]

Anyway, just graciously decline and honestly cite the reasons why you don't want one.  Emphasize that while you understand and appreciate that she means well, it would make you very uncomfortable. It can be hard for some people who like that stuff to understand why anyone else might not.
  • edited December 2011
    I think you have very valid reasons for not wanting a shower and it sounds like you have thought it through. I read once that if you want to say no to something, give only one reason, such as "Thanks so much but we feel the wedding is enough." Then that reason becomes strong instead of giving six reasons. If the other person pushes back you repeat the same reason again (and maybe again) until the other person absorbs it. Giving a bunch of reasons would give the person lots of ways to try to talk you into it! Just a thought. I thought PPs of suggesting going out to lunch or having a rocking bachelorette were great ideas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards