Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Is anyone nervous about the families meeting for the first time?

My engagement party is at the end of the month, and I'm a little nervous about our families meeting/getting to know each other. I don't know who's family is wackier. Anyone else feel the same?

Re: Is anyone nervous about the families meeting for the first time?

• Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh yes.  I've stressed about this for quite awhile now.  But, in the end. most parents are just thrilled to pieces about their children being happy (most normal parents, anyway).  Don't stress too much about political differences, quirks, etc...  It will all be okay.  And, as far as in laws are concerned, it matters a million times more what your relationship is with them, not your familiy.
  • Options
    jrkslejrksle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I completely understand.  I'm nervous about this at the moment too.  FI & I are hostnig a lunch at our house in a week and a half for parents & siblings.  My sister and his sister-in-law have met because we all went dress shopping together, but my brothers have never met anyone from his family. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's not usually a big deal.  My mom and sister met FI mom and dad a couple years ago and his mom is quiet but his dad talks to my mom a lot.  Of course she knows the surprise stuff about the wedding because he told her lol.  Some families mesh right away and some get along but still stick to themselves.  We had a cookout last year with both sides of FI family, they're all cordial and say "hi" and everything and get along but have nothing in common.  They'll make it work for you
  • Options
    ericksbericksb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh. My family isn't "wacky" but my FMIL is the most selfish, self-centered individual I know. When she met my parents and one of my siblings after we were first engaged she barely talked to any of us, and just talked about herself and to my FI. It was so awkward and unpleasant. I was nervous about how she'd act at my first bridal shower that my mom's side of the family had planned, and sure enough she came in with made-up-drama and was rude to my aunt (the hostess). That shower could not have ended soon enough. But now there's another shower with her side of the family and I am not looking forward to that, either. (Her family thinks she's over-the-top, too.) Thank goodness we have a short engagement.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was really nervous the first time our families met but it went really, really well. I'm a little anxious now about the showers, though, because my family is upset with FI's family because they aren't helping out financially with the wedding and the reasons the gave my parents were complete BS.

Oh well. I'm sure your family will act cordial and respectful and if anyone in his family acts out they will look bad, you won't.
  • Options
    larina+jeremylarina+jeremy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    me too! dont get me wrong, both mine and the fl's family are wacky (lol) but in different ways. the fl's family are more the parting type - they will have no qualms about taking advantage of the open bar and getting tipsy at the wedding haha. my family will have drinks, but will probably not reach the level of "uninhibited" that my fil's will haha. i hope my family will relax and have a good time partying with us! we want our wedding to be an awesome party!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I have been together for over 8 years, engaged 2 of those years by the time we get married.  Our parents met years ago and get along surprisingly well.  I think he was more nervous than I was about their meeting, but everything went well.  Don't stress over it - they'll either like each other or they won't, but there's nothing you can really do about it. 

Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I am very nervous!!!

We have only been engaged a little over a month and because we grew up in different states than one another, our families have not met yet! However, at my medical school graduation next weekend will be the first time! I'm nervous but excited about it! We are having a huge party at our house after graduation with friends and both sets of family! Hopefully all goes well!!!
  • Options
    nicole1125nicole1125 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel that same way, our engegment party is the end of the month as well and Im worried no one will talk and it will just be everyone in their seats bored! Im sure I am just being silly but you are not alone...Hope it works out for you..GL
  • Options
    tsp698tsp698 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Worried isn't exactly the word. The Engagement party is 2 months away and that is the big meeting day. I'm more concerned because our families couldn't be more opposite and I just know some personalities won't mesh.

The good thing is that we have friends hosting the party so everyone is meeting on neutral ground.

In all honesty I'm more worried about my Mother and my Father being within 30 yards of each other...

image 107 Invited
    image 43 are ready to party! image 6 have better things to do image58 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: July 23
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whew! I'm glad it's not just me! You guys are totally right. Either they'll get along or they wont. I have about two more weeks to go until the big day. Fingers Crossed!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards