Pre-wedding Parties
Options

How early is TOO early for a shower or bachlorette party?

I'm getting married right after the holidays - Feb 25th.  My mom is throwing my shower since my MOH (my sister) can't afford to, plus lives two states away.  She wants to do in October and even possibly combine a fall or halloween theme.  I say it's a little too early.  What do you gals think?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How early is TOO early for a shower or bachlorette party?

• Options
    KfmarriedKfmarried member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine was a little over a month before our wedding due to my sister (BM) living in Vegas and my best friend (MOH) living in NorCal.  The only time they could get everyone together was Easter weekend. 

I agree that fall seems a little too early, but it's not unheard of.  I think it's nicer when they are closer to the wedding because it really gets everyone in the swing of things so to speak. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    Love is friendship on fire!
    2012 Reading Challenge
    Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 52 books.
    hide
  • Options
    DylansBride77DylansBride77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I agree.  I threw out January 21st as a suggestion... we'll see if she goes for it.  That is still a month before the wedding and almost a month after Christmas.Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My bridal shower was 5 weeks before the wedding and my bachelorette was 3 weeks before the wedding. I think anytime within 2 months before is the norm, and October may be a bit too early, but if that's the only time that works for everyone then it's not a huge deal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My shower was 3 months before.  I hear from my MOH she wants to do the bach party in October, so a month before.  I don't consider February to be "right after the holidays".  I think if your mom plans the shower in mid-January then you should be OK.

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Bridal Shower was in June, about 4 months before the wedding, and my bachlorette party is the week before the wedding. That's when it was the best times for the hosts to throw it, so I don't see anything wrong with your mom doing it that early if that's when she wants to host it.
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I dont think there is anything wrong with having it in October.  If it makes you feel any better my shower is at the end of November, but I have a June 2012 wedding.  Its just when it worked out best because my mom who is hosting travels in the spring.  Everyone's situation is different so it isnt a big deal at all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_early-early-shower-bachlorette-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:e47d5e83-10cb-4569-83e6-3b2ac83430fcPost:4801c0c2-9967-4d50-a9e1-06fc94321f08">How early is TOO early for a shower or bachlorette party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married right after the holidays - Feb 25th.  My mom is throwing my shower since my MOH (my sister) can't afford to, plus lives two states away.  She wants to do in October and even possibly combine a fall or halloween theme.  I say it's a little too early.  What do you gals think?
    Posted by DylansBride77[/QUOTE]

I am getting married February 4th and my shower will be in October. Due to the holidays and different family matters it just worked out that way. At first I also thought it was too early but now I am used to it.

I think it's fine. As other PP have said, it just depends on what works for you and the people hosting. (as far as timing)
  • Options
    yoko2011yoko2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is at the end of Sept. and my shower with college friends was in March - only time MOH could do it since she couldn't travel until the wedding. Really early but everyone knew circumstances and it was fine.
  • Options
    teacup0618teacup0618 member
    edited December 2011
    My shower was about 2 and a half months before the wedding, and our bach party is next weekend, which is a week before the wedding. I would rather of had our bach party 2 weeks before the wedding, but it is more convenient for everyone to be able to come the week before.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As long as the people who need to be there will be there, it is ok. Normal time frame is about 2 months for a shower. It is important tho, that it isn't just convienent for the MOH instead of the guests. That almost happened with mine. I didn't vote because I don't know when mine is. 
  • Options
    TwoByTwilightTwoByTwilight member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    October is pretty early even though I loooove the Halloween idea- I am having a Halloween theme Bach party <3

I wanted my BS in the summer but it was 6 months before the wedding and we all know it was too early. Early-Mid January seems better- I understand how December could be "inconvenient" for people because of the holidays.
  • Options
    JCM10JCM10 member
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if anyone's talked showers for me yet, but my Bachelorette party is going to be within a week or two of the wedding (getting married Jan 14, so after the holidays). My fiance's bachelor party is this weekend, though, because that's when all his groomsmen could come (they're in grad schools and the military, so they're all over the place, and they want to do it before school starts). It really doesn't matter when you have them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine is scheduled for 6 weeks before the wedding. I wanted to make it as close to it as possible so I'm not stuck with all the gifts for months without being able to use them (I'm not moving out till the wedding). But I also didn't want it too close to it cause I don't want people to stress over getting a shower gift then a wedding gift right after.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a friend get married this past weekend and she had her shower back in march.  She said it was the best idea every because it got it out of the way and she could concentrate on other tasks and buying a house at the same time. Whenever it works for you will be the right time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kbarnes37kbarnes37 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My bridal shower will be this coming November and my wedding will be in April of next year.  The majority of my close friends, bridal party and family are out of town and November is the best time that we all could be in one place at one time before the actual wedding month.   
    I think that the timing should just be based on what works for you and the people involved in hosting your shower.  I am sooooo excited to see everyone before the "big day" and spend time with the people I love before the craziness of the "big day" is really upon us in full force!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    blue1981blue1981 member
    edited December 2011
    I think it is pretty early, but if that is when she wants to throw it and if you are comfortable then it is not a big deal.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards