Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Rec. your dog breed

What the heck.. I get swamped at work for awhile and when I come back and the knot looks completely different!

Anyway, DH and I are thinking about adding another dog to our family (we already have one Australian Shepherd.) We are planning on adopting from a shelter, so we'll most likely get a mixed breed, but I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of medium sized breeds with calm demeanors... that don't shed a ton. The Aussie sheds enough for a whole pack of dogs. Growing up I always had goldens, so I don't know much about too many other breeds.

TIA!

Re: Rec. your dog breed

• Options
    maykiousmaykious member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm not totally familiar with all types of dog breeds and the only calm ones I know are bigger, like Mastiffs and Great Danes.  Although Bulldogs and Bassetts are a lot smaller and pretty quiet, too.

The thing is, most calmness comes from training and can really vary from dog to dog, regardless of breed.  Plus, I wouldn't pair a dog that tends to be lazier, like a Basset with a dog that needs a lot of exercise and activity like your Aussie.  If anything, you might want another Aussie (try finding a mixed Aussie with shorthair, we've had some before) to keep your other Aussie active.  An active dog might get annoyed with the lack of enthusiasm of a lazier dog.

I always vote for mutts, in any case. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    maykiousmaykious member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, it's 5 pm on Friday and that's why my spelling is terrible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    amybrentamybrent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Stick with Goldens!! They're the best! :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    No help from me, I know NOTHING about dogs. However, I did want to tell you that I love your siggy pic. You both look great!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Labs are great dogs as well. They're very smart and usually pretty easy to train.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our Aussie is actually surprisingly lazy, lol.
  • Options
    Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SHELTIE SHELTIE SHELTIE--BEST DOGS EVER!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha Marissa, we have a Sheltie, and he drives me crazy! He's SO freaking hyper, but he's also still a puppy. I have a little yorkie that I absolutely love, though. :)
  • Options
    Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, our second sheltie could be pretty hyper--I think it goes away with age, though. Unfortunately, we never found Basil (he got out in June and didn't come back), so I'm not sure what he would have been like as an older dog.

Our first sheltie, Pumpkin, was raised around babies, and was amazing. He was very calm and tolerated kids pulling tails, trying to ride him, etc. He used to sleep by our cribs at night.

Both shelties were very protective and very intelligent. I always felt much safer with them around.

Another plus is the shedding is not bad at all--you'd think it would be with long-haired dogs, but they only shed twice a year, and if you brush them regularly, you wont find hair anywhere.

I'm a sheltie lover for life, though, so I'm a little biased. I'm working on Jay to let me get one when we have kids--it will take that long to convince him it's a good idea!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have two maltipoos and I think they are the best dogs every, and the best part...They do not shed at all!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have a pit bull. She's about 8 months old now and is the best! A little bratty, but she's mostly calm and lazy. I've had another pit bull/rott mix and he was the smartest dog ever. Also, very lazy. And pits hardly ever shed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards