Pre-wedding Parties

Engagement Party

I wanna throw an engagement party-

before anyone says I shouldn't throw one for myself, I know, I read all the other posts.

but I do want it to be a time for people to get to know each other! A small casual get together with my family, my fiance's family and the wedding party/really close friends only. During this party I also wanted to tell my friends that they are in the wedding party..

so yeah.. I feel like, throwing an "engagement party", as a bride, already sounds bad.. but is there another way I can name/describe this type of party?

-Janna Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

Re: Engagement Party

• edited December 2011
    Call it a party, not an engagement party.  That''s all.  It doesn't have to have a label.

And may I suggest asking your friends one-on-one, so that if they feel they can't be in the wedding party, for whatever reason, they aren't put on the spot and will feel able to decline?  If you ask everyone as a group, it can be difficult for someone to say no if they can't make the commitment.
  • edited December 2011

Just host a normal party-don't call it an Engagement Party. The reason you should throw yourself an E-Party is because many people see it as a gift giving occasion so you would potentially look gift grabby. If you throw just a general party the most someone will bring is a hostess gift which is perfectly appropriate.

I agree with PP that  you should ask friends you want in you BP privately so as not to add presure to participate if for some reason the can't/don't want to.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice about asking the wedding party individually/privately. I didn't think about that!!
    -Janna Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
  • edited December 2011

I agree with pp's.  Just call it a party.  An "engagement party" means you're throwing a party in honour of yourself.

Also yes, ask each WP member separately.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards