July 2012 Weddings
Options

Wedding traditions question

Are you doing "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue." If so, what are your items?

My borrowed and blue: My mom's blue topaz ring
My old: Heirloom swarovski crystals that my aunt re-strung for me
My new: Dress, shoes
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Wedding traditions question

• Options
    I do not have plans to, but I googled it becasue I have no idea what this was for!  I never heard the 3rd line actually.  Here's its meaning:

Something old, something new
    Something borrowed, something blue
    And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

A sixpence is a coin that was minted in Britain from 1551 to 1967. It was made of silver and worth six pennies. So this wedding tradition is definitely English, and many sources say that it began in the Victorian era.

Each item in this poem represents a good-luck token for the bride. If she carries all of them on her wedding day, her marriage will be happy. "Something old" symbolizes continuity with the bride's family and the past. "Something new" means optimism and hope for the bride's new life ahead. "Something borrowed" is usually an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride. The borrowed item also reminds the bride that she can depend on her friends and family.

As for the colorful item, blue has been connected to weddings for centuries. In ancient Rome, brides wore blue to symbolize love, modesty, and fidelity. Christianity has long dressed the Virgin Mary in blue, so purity was associated with the color. Before the late 19th century, blue was a popular color for wedding gowns, as evidenced in proverbs like, "Marry in blue, lover be true."

And finally, a silver sixpence in the bride's shoe represents wealth and financial security. It may date back to a Scottish custom of a groom putting a silver coin under his foot for good luck. For optimum fortune, the sixpence should be in the left shoe. These days, a dime or a copper penny is sometimes substituted, and many companies sell keepsake sixpences for weddings.

• Options
    I never knew the reason behind it either, other than luck. Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Guess I just need a sixpence!  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I haven't put too much thought into it yet but one of my girlfriends did give me a sixpence for my shoe.

191 Invited image 164 Are ready to party!! image 27 Are missing out image 0 Are making me wait imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The 'something old, something new...' part of the tradition is actually from an old Italian wedding blessing that brides would do for good luck and to have a male as a first born.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options

Old and Borrowed: My dad bought my mom a jade necklace when they first started dating while he was gone away to Alaska and I've always loved it since I was a little girl, so I'm going to get a little pouch and carry it in that inside my dress because the chain and clasp on the heart are to fragile to actually use now and they've been together for 40 years so I think that's really good.

New: Will probably be my jewelry.

Blue: Will probably be my garter, and I might have our wedding date embroidered on the inside of my dress on the hem for some cute pictures.

Definetly going to look at getting a sixpence for my shoe. LOL. We need all the help we can get with money.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Untitled
    image 218 Invited image 130 Are ready to party!! image 79 Are missing out. :(image 10 Are making me wait. :(
  • Options
    Old - my handkerchief that I'm wrapping my bouquet in, and three broches down the side where I hold it.

New - Probably my jewelry.

Something Blue - I am wearing blue shoes

Something borrowed - I have no clue?

Anniversary
  • Options
    OLD- I have an item from both of my grandmothers- class ring from one and a pin from the other.  I will attached them to the inside of my dress or my bouquet some how.

NEW- Dress, shoes, jewelry

Borrowed- I am using one of my bridesmaids and oldest friends veil

BLUE- My shoes.
  • Options
    Something old- my moms veil.
    Something new- my dress/shoes/jewelry
    Something borrowed- my slip under my dress will be a friends. Its a different shape, so I need to try it to make sure. 
    Something blue- my grandmas aquamarine ring will be tied in my bouquet. 
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards