Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Name change

I'm planning to go to the social security office tomorrow to change my last name. Finally! I want to make sure I have everything I need. I have the request for ss card, my marriage license, and my id. Is this all I need? What should I expect at the office? Is it a pretty fast process once I get to the counter? 

Thank you

Re: Name change

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had no problems or a very long wait at all.  It was pretty easy.  I had all of the above---I went to the DMV first though so I had my temporary license with my new name on it also.

Make sure you go to the counter that is for changes, not the counter that is for new applications.  We almost sat down in the wrong area when we went.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I took my DL, SS card, and marriage certificate. I had to wait a while, but it wasn't too bad. After that I went straight to the DMV and changed my name on my license. That was a pain in the arse. It took about 4-6 weeks to get my new SS card in the mail, and about the same time to get my new license.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PPs.  I went to the SS office first.  It was not a long wait.  The pain for me was the DMV.  I waited over 2 hours.  I got my SS card waaay before I got my new license.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I waited almost 2 hours at the SS office, but it only took about 5 minutes once I got to the counter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards