Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Photographer -- VENT

Re: Photographer -- VENT

• angelsong21angelsong21 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:86664583-ae88-4ed4-8ca5-2e06bc120e30Post:2628de00-758c-484e-b391-25cda36c4104">Re: Photographer -- VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Photographer -- VENT : If you have a digital copy of your contract, I can ask some lawyer friends of mine to take a peek. Unless you're fine with paying him "damages."  What a child.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

We aren't paying any damages to him.  He said we *should* per his lawyer but out of the consideration in his heart, he's not going to and he will refund our deposit.  Otherwise, if he did try to, I would DEFINITELY take you up on this offer!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Ah.  I misunderstood you, then.  I just hate when people play the attorney card, which is why I'm very thankful to have lawyers in my life.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I'm like WAY late to this...but I'm so glad he is returning your deposit!   I'm sure he is returning it because his "lawyer" advised him that he had to.

I'm sure you already know this, but the McGowans are the best! :)
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:86664583-ae88-4ed4-8ca5-2e06bc120e30Post:55f3f3d1-8fe2-4df7-8f8e-ed2096fe8c39">Re: Photographer -- VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ah.  I misunderstood you, then.  I just hate when people play the attorney card, which is why I'm very thankful to have lawyers in my life.

They are GOOD people to have when crap like this happens.
  • btweety04btweety04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I can't believe the lack of professionalism from some people.

But you will love the McGowans, we met with them and they were so sweet. Although we went with a different photographer, I would not hesitate to recommend them either.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:86664583-ae88-4ed4-8ca5-2e06bc120e30Post:ce0f52c6-f2a0-4c33-be3e-c7fdde0249e1">Re: Photographer -- VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]:::::UPDATE:::::: I received an e-mail back from him that he will refund the deposit but that I am not to contact him in any way from this point forward.  He states that his lawyer (yes, seriously, lawyer) informed him that <strong>he is entitled to damages because I gave an " interpreted cancellation notification" and he rattled off some other legal mumbo-jumbo. </strong> He is returning the deposit to me only because he is "considerate of my situation."  I guess "considerate" means different things to different people. So yes, we will get our deposit back.  I'm still just blown away at how someone who's business depends on word-of-mouth referrals decides to act this way towards clients. 
    Posted by angelsong21[/QUOTE]

He's probably throwing out BS he learned in one of his Business classes at SMU. So glad I didn't go with him now!
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:86664583-ae88-4ed4-8ca5-2e06bc120e30Post:ca7239bd-b0a0-4963-afd3-03f77a64819a">Re: Photographer -- VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Photographer -- VENT : He's probably throwing out BS he learned in one of his Business classes at SMU. So glad I didn't go with him now!
    Posted by FebDallasBride[/QUOTE]

Kind of what I was thinking.  Or something his pre-law roommate told him to say.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    That guy have me a bad feeling too. I'm glad you are getting your deposit back!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad you're getting your deposit back!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hello Knot Community,

A bride or mod on here had thankfully emailed me this thread. As I have always appreciated the support that the Knot has given me in the past regarding referrals, I felt it was appropriate to address the situation from the vendor side as well.

To be honest, I feel the whole situation was one big misunderstanding that should have been discussed over the phone from the start instead of via email, which can be difficult to dictate tone from. I feel that "escalation" was only interpreted once it was too late to clear the elephant out of the room and explain that was not the case.

I never push any couples into booking, in fact I rarely follow up with consultations that don't book on the spot in an effort to stay away from being that "pushy photographer" and to avoid situations like this. Nobody wants to be that guy. The only reason why I followed up with the bride after she notified me that she may be canceling was because she had told me that her and her fiancé were to discuss it that evening and that I was to be notified after that. When the next day rolled around and I had not heard anything, I went ahead and sent a follow up to see if I could be of any assistance and if they had reached a consensus. The email I had received was very defensive, and it was illustrated to me that if the decision was made today or 91 days before the wedding, the outcome would be the same for her and that she had the right not to rush. I understood that completely, but it was when she became defensive to my follow up is when I decided to seek outside assistance regarding the matter. Especially when I was just following up based on the time she had told me a decision was to be made. When I asked for a timeframe on when she thought she would know, I prefaced it with "I don't mean to be pushy or rude.." to illustrate that was not my intent at all. I just wanted to clarify about when I was going to be expecting a decision that I was told was to be made the previous evening.

I never said that I had anyone else lined up for her date. In fact I just truthfully told her that I do receive many inquiries a week and would like to assist her in anyway I could, either way she decided. From my standpoint I just want to work with brides and grooms that want to work with me. I maintain an honest relationship with all of my clients and just expect the same in return. If they were not wanting to use me, that would not have upset me in the least bit as I would have a chance to book someone else in her place. Again, I was not trying to be pushy in the matter, merely concerned that this was thrown on my plate out of nowhere and wanted to address it instead of letting it linger; a fair thing I would say given that the bride was considering canceling.

It was made clear to me that the best decision would to be to terminate the contract without charging them the liquidated damages, as that was their primary concern from the start and the only thing that was preventing them from canceling immediately. I was respecting the clients initial wishes and realized that it would benefit us both. This became a very "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation after this. When she requested the deposit back, I obliged that I would send it back. The only reason why I had included that I had spoken with my lawyer was so that she understood how I was taking how this had transpired, and that I was giving back 100% of the deposit along with not collecting what damages would have otherwise been collected.

At the end of the day, I believe that this is just a case of a vendor and client that were not meant to work together. Not everyone is a good match, as I am sure that everyone who looks at multiple vendors can agree, but there is something to be said for maintaining an honest relationship between the two and discussing such important matters over the phone or in person instead of leaving emails up for interpretation. I have always appreciated all the support that the Knot.com community has given me in the past, but I do understand how this isolated case could be construed. I don't consider my services, whether I am shooting or one of my photographers is shooting, to be "too good to be true" or "fishy" as some had called it. I enjoy providing good photography for brides at a reasonable price and have found such a positive response from many of my brides and grooms and hope to continue to do so in the future.
  • edited December 2011
    You are NOT allowed on here! Why can't you read the rules?!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    And now that I read your whole post, it didn't make you look any better. It doesn't matter if she wanted to wait a week to give you an answer. She had already given you a deposit, you had no right to force her to decide that day.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a little confused.    If you have so many inquires per week and this wedding was a year away, why would you charge liquidated damages in addition to the deposit?
    edited December 2011
    All right, clearly he posted...what did I miss
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Goshdarnit!!!!  Quote it, girls, quote it so that I can come and read it later!!!!!  Boo.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:86664583-ae88-4ed4-8ca5-2e06bc120e30Post:1b02f837-c426-4e3b-87b0-c9397bdfbb65">Re: Photographer -- VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]Goshdarnit!!!!  Quote it, girls, quote it so that I can come and read it later!!!!!  Boo.
    Posted by juliebug1997[/QUOTE]

No kidding!  I'm so anxious to know what was said!  How funny he signed up for a Knot account just for that LOL.
  • carmen9311carmen9311 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow! i just read this now and i wanna know too
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    It wasn't really that interesting.   He stated his side of the story in a pretty professional manner, I think.
  • edited December 2011
    Man, I should have quoted.. sorry, girls!
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  Uh, no sir... the mod did not send you that link.. puh-leez.

2.  Welcome to bannation.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:86664583-ae88-4ed4-8ca5-2e06bc120e30Post:dd371a08-a9b0-43d8-b68a-6d67215843b2">Re: Photographer -- VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]It wasn't really that interesting.   He stated his side of the story in a pretty professional manner, I think.
    Posted by Tiffany618[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div>
    Anniversary

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:86664583-ae88-4ed4-8ca5-2e06bc120e30Post:9e8c18ef-9073-4728-a34c-b874803e5ffd">Re: Photographer -- VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]1.  Uh, no sir... the mod did not send you that link.. puh-leez. 2.  Welcome to bannation.
    Posted by bsn1752[/QUOTE]

???

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:86664583-ae88-4ed4-8ca5-2e06bc120e30Post:086e54e1-9719-4692-b946-6dc52a74a71e">Re: Photographer -- VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Photographer -- VENT : This.

That's fine by me if he wants to share his side of the story (well, its not okay on TK due to the TOS but I just mean in general).  What truly transpired doesn't change.  Now I just need to figure out how to put this out of my mind.
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:86664583-ae88-4ed4-8ca5-2e06bc120e30Post:09396b89-f584-4937-8e75-5a8f2308286f">Re: Photographer -- VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Photographer -- VENT : That's fine by me if he wants to share his side of the story (well, its not okay on TK due to the TOS but I just mean in general).  What truly transpired doesn't change.  Now I just need to figure out how to put this out of my mind.
    Why let it bother you?  You're getting your money back, you've found a new photographer that will probably end up working out better for you, most of the girls here know who he is and will not recommend him.  You have no reason to keep thinking about this.  Just move on. 
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:86664583-ae88-4ed4-8ca5-2e06bc120e30Post:c27a587f-f015-4fa2-b699-bf47126b5a66">Re: Photographer -- VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Photographer -- VENT : ???  

<div>I banned him... he's not allowed to post on the boards.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Oh man why do I miss all the fun cause I'm out at happy hour?!?!?
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:86664583-ae88-4ed4-8ca5-2e06bc120e30Post:4c4143a5-fbe6-4f8f-bfd1-8d44e45f356f">Re: Photographer -- VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh man why do I miss all the fun cause I'm out at happy hour?!?!?
    Posted by FebDallasBride[/QUOTE]

<div>Trust me, you win.</div>
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:86664583-ae88-4ed4-8ca5-2e06bc120e30Post:51ab3a26-eca7-41ed-bce0-c0deb0849f1b">Re: Photographer -- VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Photographer -- VENT : Trust me, you win.
    Posted by bsn1752[/QUOTE]

You definitely win.  On second thought, why was I not at a happy hour somwhere? Could have used it today!

I knew you meant you had banned him, I just didn't know what the link thing was about.     I missed out on his response(s) but I suppose that's probably a good thing.
  • edited December 2011
    He had said that the mod had sent him a link to this thread, and that's how he found it. Yea, yea.
    It wasn't that great. He said basically the same thing you had already told us. Still doesn't make it ok.
  • edited December 2011
    He sent an email to the vendor site's email.  It's like a page long... *facepalm*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards