Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

NWR -- Groceries / Recipes

Anyone have any recommendations on where to buy meat in bulk here in Dallas?  I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possibly but I do want decent quality meat.  Kroger on Mockingbird for us is out of the question as every time we have bought meat there, it was rancid well before the expiration date (yuck).  Looking mostly for things like chicken breast, ground turkey, and pork (tenderloin, boneless chops, etc).  Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone have any great recipes they want to share?  I'm going to try to prepare meals and freeze them so we can just pull them out and heat them during the week.  We're tired of the same ol stuff... share with me some great, relatively uncomplicated recipes please!

Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: NWR -- Groceries / Recipes

• crash2729crash2729 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could try costco.

I also have heard that Tom Thumb has meat in the case for cheaper than the pre-packaged meat. That could be just out here though.
  • edited December 2011
    The Tom Thumb on NW Highway has a pretty good selection of packaged meats.

As for recipes, I love the classic Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  I also love to go to Central Market in the evenings and pick up a bunch of recipe cards from the meat department.

For prepare-ahead, FI and I have recently had some really good meals that are served cold, so they're great refrigerated (I hate reheating stuff -- just isn't the same as when it was fresh).  I'll PM you some recipes when I get home today.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I've been told that Albertson's has good meat, but IDK how I feel about it when I constantly see Buy 1 Get 2 Free in their ads.

Recipes: try recipelion.com. I get daily e-mails from them with some great stuff.
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • angelsong21angelsong21 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the suggestions!  I will have to check out some of those sites.  I usually use allrecipes or myrecipes.   Amanda -- I don't generally like reheating food either so I'm not sure how well this will work out.  I just don't know what else to do.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_nwr-groceries-recipes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:8858caaf-4d58-4bed-846e-acc5f337feabPost:a4c6ca3c-39ce-4429-9198-c044cd2ca5bb">Re: NWR -- Groceries / Recipes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all of the suggestions!  I will have to check out some of those sites.  I usually use allrecipes or myrecipes.   Amanda -- I don't generally like reheating food either so I'm not sure how well this will work out.  I just don't know what else to do.
    Posted by angelsong21[/QUOTE]

I mean, it's definitely a better alternative to eating fast food, I'd just rather not do it.  Most of the time we cook too much for dinner, so I'll just eat the leftovers for lunch.  Some things, like pork or pasta, reheat very well.
    Anniversary

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_nwr-groceries-recipes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:8858caaf-4d58-4bed-846e-acc5f337feabPost:f27ce12c-d4a4-458e-9533-dfa1ccfa8ddf">Re: NWR -- Groceries / Recipes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR -- Groceries / Recipes : I mean, it's definitely a better alternative to eating fast food, I'd just rather not do it.  Most of the time we cook too much for dinner, so I'll just eat the leftovers for lunch.  Some things, like pork or pasta, reheat very well.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

That's what I used to go -- cook a bit extra and get another meal out of it.  Our schedules are just to the point where neither one of us gets home until about 8PM after working/school for 12+ hours, and we're just too tired/lazy to make dinner. 

Pork is pretty good reheated.  Chicken is okay too.  Worst reheated leftovers: mac n cheese
  • edited December 2011
    Costco has really good meat actually, and it's pretty affordable. I had a guy that was shopping there tell me that he used to be a butcher & that's the only place he'll buy meat now. The ground beef tasted a lot better than what I used to get from Kroger. Same with the chicken. I had bought a big value pack of chicken breasts from Kroger once and it was so dry and tasteless even though I cooked it the same way each time that I ended up throwing out the whole pack. Costco has chicken breasts that come prepackaged in sets of 2 that I started getting. They're really convienent & juicy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Angela!  We don't have a Costco membership but perhaps it would be worth getting to save money on a few items, especially meat.  I will look into this today. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards