Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

New Year's Traditons

Do you have any traditions for New Year's?

Do you have any plans?  Going out?  Staying in? 

Re: New Year's Traditons

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We don't have a ton of traditions.  My grandma makes a big deal out of eating black eyed peas each year.  So, I make some along with some cornbread.  It's not so bad.

My mom calls me every New Year's Eve.  She calls and pretty much begs me not to go out.  She is so scared I will be hit by a drunk driver (not sure why she only worries that one day of the year, but okay.).  So, I've made it a tradition to stay in.  When I was in college, my friends and I would have a slumber party.  We would eat junk food and watch movies.  Ah - good memories. 

This year DH and I are going to a friend's house.  My mom will not be happy, but he lives like 5 minutes from our house and we don't have to take any highways to get there.
  • Options
    MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really want to do something fun because normally  FI and I play SNES and N64 until the ball drops.

I'm talking to the best man to see if he wants to have a semi-dinner party with a whole bunch of FI friends. Where we all bring snacky type of food ( cheese sauce, cocktail sausages and meatball type of stuff).

We normally eat tamales and black-eyed peas on New Years' day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_new-years-traditons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:8ebc3af9-1a32-4769-ab08-0a0844ebc536Post:7ba41d33-885e-4412-84e7-a7dc64319002">Re: New Year's Traditons</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really want to do something fun because normally  FI and I play SNES and N64 until the ball drops. I'm talking to the best man to see if he wants to have a semi-dinner party with a whole bunch of FI friends. Where we all bring snacky type of food ( cheese sauce, cocktail sausages and meatball type of stuff). We normally <strong>eat tamales</strong> and black-eyed peas on New Years' day.
    Posted by MLandCJ[/QUOTE]

Mmmm tamales!  I am totally missing out this year.  I usually go home for Christmas and we have tamales, but this year we went to DH's hometown.  No tamales.  Makes me sad.
  • Options
    MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We always get them I think at the tortilla factory in oak cliff. They are delicious and made fresh daily :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_new-years-traditons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:8ebc3af9-1a32-4769-ab08-0a0844ebc536Post:5bdaba43-a238-4688-951c-ef136d2c8244">Re: New Year's Traditons</a>:
    [QUOTE]We always get them I think at the tortilla factory in oak cliff. They are delicious and made fresh daily :)
    Posted by MLandCJ[/QUOTE]

Oh!!  Thank you, I will definitely look into that.  :)
  • Options
    bigbabyfacebigbabyface member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Traditions? Not really...

My mother usually throws a party though, or at least she has since we've moved to the states. Their house is like a hotel during the holidays, they have tons of air mattresses, and extra beds and what not, so people usually just stay there.

Last year me and the FI got up Jan 1 at 5 AM to drive to colorado, so we ended up missing the "new year". All the years before that one of us was either in the hospital, or on a plane, so hopefully this year we'll get to kiss at midnight (oh so cheesy) and we'll be spending it at my parents :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have no traditions, but my mom does make a big deal out of the black-eyed peas.

As far as this year, I have a friend (one of my BMs) coming in from Amarillo to visit, and another friend is moing to Austin next Monday, so we are all doing dinner together. I'll probably call it a night early and go home to lounge on my couch and watch movies.
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We stay in. 

No traditions for us either really... but you would be shocked at how hard a babysitter is to come by on that night.  :)
  • Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have no traditions.

We're thinking about going to Big D NYE in Victory Park and taking the train there. Neither of us wants to deal with parking or crazy drives or insane cover charges on places we go for free or cheap all the time. But we still want to do something fun, so we might give this a try. But Courts can't take his camera, so I'm not sure if he'll still want to go. :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No traditions usually either stay in or just a few friends and all stay the night somewhere so no driving.  Last year we stayed at a friends house and played rockband until the ball dropped.  Sad I know.  This year FI and I will just stay in and chill.  I am so happy to have NYE off so I will likely do some much needed cleaning.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_new-years-traditons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:8ebc3af9-1a32-4769-ab08-0a0844ebc536Post:c050e404-77d5-4005-ba87-93b3ff4630f6">Re: New Year's Traditons</a>:
    [QUOTE]We stay in.  No traditions for us either really... <strong>but you would be shocked at how hard a babysitter is to come by on that night.  :)</strong>
    Posted by bsn1752[/QUOTE]

THIS!  We have SD this year so we will be staying in.  Even both set of my parents have plans this year!  We are having some other couples over and going to still have fun just got to keep it on the DL this year since we will be up at 6:30 with the little one. 

As for traditions nothing more than black eye peas with lunch.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Traditions?  Not many... my Mom begs me to eat black eyed peas but I refuse.  LOL

We like to stay in...big crowds...big $$... poor quality and service.   It's just ehh for us.  Plus we spent $300 at III Forks last week, ouch...that still stings a bit.

We are going to make a nice italian dinner at home (I'm thinking Rachel Ray's Chicken parmesean) and watch movies.  I'm looking forward to it!
  • Options
    bigbabyfacebigbabyface member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_new-years-traditons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:8ebc3af9-1a32-4769-ab08-0a0844ebc536Post:9d6def0f-5ee2-40b2-8e1c-0085538e3bc2">Re: New Year's Traditons</a>:
    [QUOTE]Traditions?  Not many... my Mom begs me to eat black eyed peas but I refuse.  LOL We like to stay in...big crowds...big $$... poor quality and service.   It's just ehh for us.  <strong>Plus we spent $300 at III Forks l</strong>ast week, ouch...that still stings a bit. We are going to make a nice italian dinner at home (I'm <strong>thinking Rachel Ray's Chicken parmesean</strong>) and watch movies.  I'm looking forward to it!
    Posted by Tiffany618[/QUOTE]

We were at Sullivan's on Monday. It was our Christmas thing for the two of us. Amazingly it only cost $44 dollars. <u>After</u>, tip. It could also have not been too bad because we had a $50 groupon that FI co-worker gave him. I haven't been there in AGES, I love their sweet potatoe cassorole. I'm going to attempt to make it tonight actually as a surprise for FI. I'm terrified it will turn out horrible. lol

That sounds SO good, but then again; anything does at the moment. I'm starving.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My family is big in traditions for NYE.
    We normally have a fancy dinner, everyone dresses up. We eat dinner around 11PM. At midnight we are supposed to eat 12 grapes and make a wish as you eat each grape but you have to eat them fast as the clock bells are going off. Also we grab a suitcase and go walk in and out of the house so that we will travel in the new year. We take 12 coins and throw them over our shoulder for money. We wear red or yellow underwear for love or money in the new year. After all that we hug each other and continue the party!!! It is so much fun!
    This year though, I  will be here and I am still not sure FI will still be here or be back to work.. so it may just be my kitties and I :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_new-years-traditons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:8ebc3af9-1a32-4769-ab08-0a0844ebc536Post:9d6def0f-5ee2-40b2-8e1c-0085538e3bc2">Re: New Year's Traditons</a>:
    [QUOTE]Traditions?  Not many... my Mom begs me to eat black eyed peas but I refuse.  Posted by Tiffany618[/QUOTE]

<div>Same here!</div><div>
    </div><div>We won't be doing anything this year because FI is stuck closing on Friday night and opening Saturday morning.  Sucks!  So it'll be the dog and me until he gets home.</div>
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We always wait until the last minute to make any plans and usually stay home or do something equally lame.  I really don't feel like going out this year for some reason--usually I want to.

I make ham and fresh black eyed peas on New Year's Day and take down the tree and de-Christmas the house.  Before I met Ben, I took Melodie to Black Eyed Pea every New Year's day.  I love fresh black eyed peas and it's usually the only day a year I eat them.
  • Options
    msealemseale member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

Traditions - we do the Black Eyed Peas each year.

This year we are going to the Stars game with about 15 people, and then hanging out in Victory Plaza for the fireworks.  Since our house is a cheap cab ride away, friends are meeting here and then goign to the game.  We told anyone who doesn't want to drive afterwards that they can stay at our place.  The puppies will enjoy someone to cuddle with.  :)

Our last sunset in Hawaii...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Michelle & Michael
    Married - August '10
    TTC - Since September 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We went to NYE at Victory Plaza last year and it was so bad we left early. We ended up wearing Pajamas and watching horror movies. So just a note for those who plan to go... its extremely crowded and they only allow a few people in the plaza to actually hear the bands. The rest are crowded on the streets with people drunk and smoking pot 3 inches away from you. 

This year we are doing a cocktails and Fondue party!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No traditions really. But the last 2 years we have spent with some close friends at one of our friends' houses. We try and keep it low key. Too many crazies out on NYE and way too many drunk people to get out on the road. 

This year we are doing the same thing NYE, and NY day we are going to see Jason Boland at Billy Bobs so I'm excited about that. 
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_new-years-traditons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:8ebc3af9-1a32-4769-ab08-0a0844ebc536Post:b44914e1-93df-4698-8572-ebea84b5fd0e">Re: New Year's Traditons</a>:
    [QUOTE]This year we are doing a cocktails and Fondue party!  
    Posted by marksle84[/QUOTE]
    Holy cow that sounds like a blast!  I think I'm coming to your house.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We always have a party at our house or my moms but this year we don't want to. My mom makes us eat black eye peas with corn bread. Her tradition is she makes the Manwellos (fried tortilla with cinnamon). every year. YUMM
  • Options
    jenngbjenngb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We always have black eye peas and cabbage.We use to make tamales every Christmas but my grandmother say she is getting to old to make them. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards