Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Flowers- to have or not to have?

I am trying to do away with flowers for centerpieces to cut back on cost. I have a few questions/thoughts and would love you feedback. I would like to do 2 centerpieces.  1. a short vase ( I am not sure of the shape) with the polymers in it. Poosibly purple since that will be the color of bridesmaids dresses.  2. A tall vase with a floating candle- but possibly with flowers under the water- depending on cost. Where else would I need flowers? I know the bouquets for ladies and flowers for guys shirts. I feel like I need a degree in interior design in order to figure everything out.
Thanks

Re: Flowers- to have or not to have?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Check with your venue.  My venue actually had floating candle centerpieces that were included in what I paid.

FWIW, you can work out inexpensive floral options without cutting them out entirely.  I didn't really care about flowers, but looking at our pics and videos, I think something would have really been lacking from our reception decor without them.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Jen6862Jen6862 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked out BJs or Costco flower options. They have some inexpensive packages and sometimes the vases/candles end up costing the same. My sister-in-law did low scooped vases with blue pebbles and floating candles. But, I LOVE flowers. Or you could do single hydrangeas or just roses? The girls on this board have done some amazing thing with small flower budgets. I've also seen BM bouquets made out of bunched carnations or even babies breath... suprisinly very pretty!

Don't forget corsages for the moms! Some people also like flowers for the church or ceremony location. But, I wish I hadn't spent money on that because the church already had some!
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

There is really nowhere else were flowers are needed.  I had flowers on my guest book table and on the buffet, rose petals on my aisle, and rose petals to toss for the exit.  I also had flowers on my cake.  But other than flowers for the wedding party, flowers aren't really required anywhere. 

I love the submerged flowers with a floating candle on top--very simple and elegant and probably not be very expensive.

• Options
    winechic25winechic25 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Due to set up of our venue, we had 31 tables, and flowers were very important to me, ut that would have been VERY expensive to do flower centerpieces on all of them. We had 3 different tablescapes, 1 was flower based, 1 was a vignette with all different antique stuff pulled from around our houses and the last one was a wooden box we built with candles in it, and a single bloom of a flower for a pop of color. We had 10 tables of each of the above, and I loved it!
  • Options
    aeliza06aeliza06 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I too am trying to cut back on costs. I am doing blooms of babies breath (very inexpensive) out of recycled (free) wine vases to give an airy feel. On pinterest there are some very great ideas for non-flower centerpieces. The Martha even has some great inexpensive ideas using vellum and other objects. 

I agree- flowers are necessary for bridal party and corsages, but you can do babies breath and carnations instead of more expensive flowers. Also- try to see what is in season during the time of your wedding as these flowers will often cost less. 
    My bouquet will be the most expensive item and I am doing a 40$ bouquet from Whole Foods. The other areas will be mostly candle light using the 24 votive candle pack from hobby lobby with the 40% off coupon.

If you want to do the submerged flower in the tall vases with floating candles- wait until hobby lobby has their 50% off glass sale and 50% off silk flowers sale. You can always resell these items after to recoup some of your costs. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards