Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

average cost of photographers?

So I have a venue, florist, and dj now. I need a photographer though. I was just wondering what average costs of them are. The ones I have seen so far start at like 2k. I was just wondering if that is average, cheap, or high.

Any input would be great!

Thanks!

Re: average cost of photographers?

• It depends on what is included, but yes, I would say $2K is around the average you can expect to pay.

A good photographer is invaluable, in my eyes.  That was one part of our wedding I was more than willing to spend a lot of money on.  Your wedding photos are what you have to remember that one day (and to see some parts you never even noticed the day-of) forever.

I ended up paying around $3K for my photographer and all my favorites in Dallas are in that same price range or higher.

I think SixFourteen used to be under $2K, but his prices may have gone up since the last time I heard, and rightfully so.
    Anniversary

• I would say 2K$ is average also, but there are some very good photographers in that price point (Stephanie Brazzle, Karen Scruggs, Evan Godwin).  $2-3K I would say is midrange while $3500+ would be an experienced higher-end photographer.  Anything $1K or under would be someone just starting out or with little experience shooting weddings.

Six Fourteen's packages are in the $3K range now to start.  He is wonderful though if your budget is that high.
  • I paid just under 3000 for our package as well. Our package included 2 shooters for 8 hours and a bridal session.

A lot depends on what all you end up getting in your package, but 2-3K is normal.
  • tcam2012tcam2012 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    I am paying 1300 for 2 shooters for 4 hours, no bridals or engagements. I think 2k or 3k is avg for 8 hours. That's how much my photographer would be if I had wanted that many hours.
  • Well I definitely can't spend 3k on a photographer even if I wanted to. I guess I will hunt in the 2k range
  • My friends used this amazing photographer Marisa with Captive Art Photography. They only paid around 800 I think for 2 photographers. We just booked with her as well and I'm sooo excited

• There are some fantastic photographers mentioned above. Another I might add is Brant Smith Photography. He has a very different style, but I thought it is worth mentioning. 
  • I researched many, but went with Aravaggio Photography. She has different selections, but she also runs specials so I got mine for about 2,000 even which included engagements, bridal photos, DVD, the rights for the photos and two photographers. She can custom do you a package as well. You have to look at the style you want an make sure they have great reviews. I would look into her and see what she could do for you. There are so many out there so reviews and referrals are the best way to go!
  • I'm not going to do bridal portraits as I don't want that many pictures of just me. I figure I can get a few on the wedding and that's plenty. We did our engagement pictures in Ohio so I don't need those either. Our photographer here is fabulous, I wish it was cost effective to bring him to Dallas! Anyway I just need day of pictures, and would like a cd of the prints and an album. That's basically all I'm wanting.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_average-cost-of-photographers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:b3bb43c6-cd9a-4763-b78a-ff91280dc828Post:17c8e6f6-feb6-4809-9451-1bb9d3928098">Re: average cost of photographers?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not going to do bridal portraits as I don't want that many pictures of just me. I figure I can get a few on the wedding and that's plenty. We did our engagement pictures in Ohio so I don't need those either. Our photographer here is fabulous, I wish it was cost effective to bring him to Dallas! Anyway I just need day of pictures, and would like a cd of the prints and an album. That's basically all I'm wanting.
    Posted by seaotter910[/QUOTE]

<div>This is all I did (day-of photography, only), with a flash drive of all the digital negatives, a beautiful custom-made album, and access to an online gallery to order prints.  We ended up only needing 7 hours, so we were able to negotiate a slightly lower price.</div><div>
    </div><div>You just need to shop around.  There are plenty of talented photographers for under $2K.</div><div>
    </div><div>Make sure you get a full look at the work of anyone you consider.  And keep in mind that you will spend the MOST time with your photographer, so you need to "click" with them!</div>
    Anniversary

• You might check out Megan Fortner. Someone else on the board mentioned her, and I got her package prices and even met with her. She's very nice and just starting out in the business on her own (she was an assistant photographer for a few years), so her prices are very budget-friendly. Shooting all day starts at $800 and goes to $1,400 depending on 2nd shooters, engagment/bridal sessions, etc. I really liked her but we're going to go with someone more experienced, given that my budget will allow for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards