July 2012 Weddings
Options

Wedding gift norms poll (just curious about this)

I've noticed several of you saying you were surprised to receive gifts from your registry at your house. I honestly thought this was the norm, but I guess not everywhere.

Is it normal in your area to give physical gifts or cash for a wedding?
For physical gifts, do ppl usually send them to your house (or wherever your registry is set to send gifts) or actually bring them to the wedding?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding gift norms poll (just curious about this)

• Options
    It is more common to bring cash as a wedding gift in my area. I have received a few wedding gifts from our registry though! Some gifts were from people who couldn't make it, but two were from guests who are attending. We have also received checks in our RSVP cards from people who declined. I always give cash as a wedding gift if I attend, but if I can't make it to the wedding, I will usually send a gift from the registry. I have never seen people bring physical gifts to the wedding, so I think most people send them to the house prior to the event. 
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    From what I've seen shower gifts are always taken to the shower.  If not wouldn't the bride have to pack all those gifts up and take them to the shower and open them?

Wedding gifts are usually cash.  It's unspoken that the registry is for the shower.  We (my parents and I) always send cash if we can't attend the wedding.
    weddingcake-1
  • Options
    In my family people bring checks to the wedding itself. However, since FMIL has already told me people are asking I am expecting gifts from FI's family and probably our friends. I think our friends will give gifts because they don't have much money and it will look like more if they can buy stuff especially if its on sale. I'm hoping they will send it to the house so I don't have to bring it home from the wedding!

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Most people bring cash or checks to weddings around here.  Some people will bring gifts but not usually since its a hassle to pack them up at the end of the night.  I haven't received anything at the house yet for a wedding gift off the registry but I have a feeling I will before the wedding.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Interesting! I always buy gifts off the registry for the wedding (but often get something more personal for the shower gift) and I have the wedding gift shipped to the address on the couple's registry. So far, it seems like most of our guests are doing the same.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I always noticed a ton of gifts at the reception where I"m from but I've already received a few gifts here at home (which would be super nice since we live about 10 hours away from our hometown, I"m assuming people are realizing this and trying to make our night hassle free which I appreciate.)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The norm here is cash. 
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_wedding-gift-norms-poll-just-curious-about-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:305899a1-9f35-415e-b3eb-7f26f60a43f8Post:f75e26ed-c11c-484d-859a-5f146b6fc3f9">Re: Wedding gift norms poll (just curious about this)</a>:
    [QUOTE]The norm here is cash. 
    Posted by LADY324[/QUOTE]

Ditto LADY. 

Around here you get the physical gifts at your shower, cash at the wedding.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In my circle of friends/family, only money is given at the actual wedding. Physical gifts are brought to the shower.  The only gifts I received at my house rather than at the shower were because they were backordered.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    It's about half and half here - Half will give money/cards/gift cards only, while half will give physical gifts.

From the half that bring physical gits, about half will ship to the b&g's home, while half will actually bring to the wedding.

Its still so weird to me how different this is in different places around the country!
  • Options
    Most people bring gifts to the actual wedding. Wish we lived on the east coast though where cash is more common, because we would rather have that right now than a ton of new kitchen gadgets.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    mekiakoomekiakoo member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Both actually. I've always brought a gift to weddings until last year when my cousin registered at Amazon. I was quite confused and did not want to mail her the gift without seeing it first and making sure it was in a good shape. I like bringing gifts and be like "look! here's a gift for both of YOU! how exciting!".

I guess if guests live far away- it'd just be easier to mail it instead of hauling it with them on a plane or in the car. Or give cash.
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I really don't ever see anyone carrying a physical gift to a wedding. It's all cards (with cash). I have never given anything other than cash at a wedding. I also am annoying and don't always buy off the registry for the shower - for example, for my friend's bridal shower (the one who never sent a Thank You . . . ), I bought some lipgloss, a robe, a clutch, some other day-of wedding stuff I know she wanted but didn't have the budget to purchase herself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In our circles we give cash at weddings.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In my family/friends from high school and college we give cash. My FI's family and friends apparently just do gifts, and his family in particular doesn't even buy off registries. 

He got very touchy about this recently when we went to his friend's wedding. We were talking about gifts and I mentioned that they had no registry listed on their website and we should give cash. He got SO offended and said all his friends give gifts because then they'll have a gift that they'll cherish and remember you by forever. I told him to put his vagina away. (Not really. But I thought it).

I'm one of the first friends in my group to get married so I don't know how standard the gift being shipped to your house is. We have received one gift through the mail though. 

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have only been to 2 weddings in the last year. My matron of honor and myself were both preg at her wedding. We were only 5 weeks apart. Instead of a traditional gift we gifted her an ultrasound session to find out the sex of her baby. We both had girls! The 2nd wedding was FSIL and FBIL wedding. We gave them cash in a card. She wrote in the thank you card that it really helped with their honeymoon. Its very true. If the person is planning on going straight to a honeymoon after cash helps alot! 
    pregnancy calendar
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards