Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Information....not trying to stir the pot.

I just found this at the DMN website.  Thought it might be interesting considering our recent discussion on SA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyler_v._Doe

Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.

• Options
    tdqtdq
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've always wondered how much we'd save if we required legal status. But I know educated children are better for society in the long run than uneducated ones.
    June 2012 April Siggy Challenge

Photobucket
    When we first started dating. Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The thing that concerns me with this is if we require proper documentation (which I already thought we did) who's to say that they don't just forge the papers or "borrow" someone else's?

Do school districts go through some method that checks the authenticity of the papers brought to us?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok, i know I said I wasn't going to weigh on in this, and I'm not exactly, but I did want to point out that most undocumented immigrants do pay into the system through sales taxes and as has been pointed out, property taxes, whether directly or indirectly. And many also pay in through income taxes (for those who forge social security documents, etc.).  So I guess my question is why it matters if they have papers or not.
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:79033d8b-8ed5-4b63-8c47-484e6ef53817">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]The thing that concerns me with this is if we require proper documentation (which I already thought we did) who's to say that they don't just forge the papers or "borrow" someone else's? Do school districts go through some method that checks the authenticity of the papers brought to us?
    Posted by rcpm44[/QUOTE]
    My district only requires documentation that you are living in the district.  Executed lease, signed deed, and utility bills.  When Katrina hit and we knew a bunch of families were coming, they even suspended this policy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And renters do indirectly pay property taxes.  It's rolled into their rent.

Really in all honesty, I just them want them to learn English.  I don't think that they should be banned from speaking Spanish, but, if you intend on being here, living here and doing business here, you should be able to communicate.  I don't go to Italy and expect them to speak to me in English or take my American money.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:95d6d19e-d127-4a50-a8a3-0dd35691e83c">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, i know I said I wasn't going to weigh on in this, and I'm not exactly, but I did want to point out that most undocumented immigrants do pay into the system through sales taxes and as has been pointed out, property taxes, whether directly or indirectly. And many also pay in through income taxes (for those who forge social security documents, etc.).  So I guess my question is why it matters if they have papers or not.
    Posted by nickandmerritt[/QUOTE]

Because partically paying and fully paying in are too different things. Remember other people have to pay for them only paying a portion. Plus, I don't understand the big deal if others have to get papers come in then why not everyone? Why wouldn't you require people to follow the law and get papers? Just because they can walk over.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:236effda-014c-49cf-80e8-440b097afd85">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot. : Because partically paying and fully paying in are too different things. Remember other people have to pay for them only paying a portion. <strong>Plus, I don't understand the big deal if others have to get papers come in then why not everyone? Why wouldn't you require people to follow the law and get papers? Just because they can walk over.</strong>
    Posted by DFWIndian[/QUOTE]
    I do agree with this.  However, I teach whoever is in class.  Like Amanda said:  I just want to teach them stuff.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Merritt -   I agree.   I don't think it matters at all.

The problem goes far deeper than an influx of immigrants.  People just want to point fingers.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How is a citizen student living in an apartment (paying a FRACTION of school tax that a homeowner pays) any different than an immigrant student with the same living situation?  They pay the same amount.

The problem here isn't really immigration.  It's finance.    Removing immigrants wouldn't fix the problem, only provide short term relief.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:58b93838-46dd-4c36-9a2c-51ced4ded13e">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]How is a citizen student living in an apartment (paying a FRACTION of school tax that a homeowner pays) any different than an immigrant student with the same living situation?  They pay the same amount. The problem here isn't really immigration.  It's finance.    Removing immigrants wouldn't fix the problem, only provide short term relief.
    Posted by Tiffany618[/QUOTE]

Don't people who live in apartments pay less in property taxes because they are taking up less space, electricity, etc?  Can't people who own houses also share/rent out rooms in their house to get help covering the property tax?  I mean, most people who live in apartments can't afford a whole property tax payment, isn't that the point? You can add to the tax people who live in apartments pay all you want, if they can't pay it, they are just going to end up defaulting. If you own a home, you pay more in taxes--to me that seems like a reasonable cost of using/owning more property.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Property taxes and school taxes are not the same thing.   Yes, you make one lump sum payment but there is a percentage for tax and a percentage for schools.

If we treat everyone equal (kids, no kids, tons of kids, a few kids) as if they are the same burden on the school system...then everyone should be paying the same percent regardless of the size of their dwelling.

We can argue this all day long, and I'm DEFINITELY not saying that I'm right.   What I am saying is that there is a huge deficit to make up and unless people are billed differently to finance schools then the education system will continue to suffer.

I'm just trying to think of ways to help make up the difference without kicking the illegals out, or cutting teachers and programs. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:71cdf2b7-8fb3-4649-bfa8-9a7db480c2f5">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Property taxes and school taxes are not the same thing.   Yes, you make one lump sum payment but there is a percentage for tax and a percentage for schools. If we treat everyone equal (kids, no kids, tons of kids, a few kids) as if they are the same burden on the school system...then everyone should be paying the same percent regardless of the size of their dwelling. We can argue this all day long, and I'm DEFINITELY not saying that I'm right.   What I am saying is that there is a huge deficit to make up and unless people are billed differently to finance schools then the education system will continue to suffer. I'm just trying to think of ways to help make up the difference without kicking the illegals out, or cutting teachers and programs. 

Ok, well I guess I'm confused b/c it sounds like you are saying that poor people should be picking up the slack/making up the difference.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

When did I say anything about poor people?   Renting does not equal poor and owning property does not equal rich.  Sorry if you felt that is what I was suggesting.

So tell me what you would suggest then?   If we are keeping the teachers, the immigrants, and the programs?   What are we cutting and/or where is the money going to come from?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:95331c0e-2f33-4150-a608-dd07ea8fc373">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]When did I say anything about poor people?   Renting does not equal poor and owning property does not equal rich.  Sorry if you felt that is what I was suggesting. So tell me what you would suggest then?   If we are keeping the teachers, the immigrants, and the programs?   What are we cutting and/or where is the money going to come from?

Right I didn't mean to imply that all property owners are "rich" and that all renters are poor. But what I meant is that what you are advocating is going to put the highest burden on people living at and below the poverty line. there are lots of other ways to "find" money.  I would advocate spending less money killing people abroad, not having people murdered in state as punishment (as it's a lot more expensive than housing someone in a jail), and cutting way back on the war on drugs, particularly when it comes to marijuana. I would also advocate putting money into comprehensive (rather than abstinence only) sex education, which would cut down on the costs of teen pregnancy, and in the meantime tax wealthy people higher and stop giving tax breaks to people in the upper crust who are profiting off of people who work for next to nothing so they can live ten people in an apartment.
  • Options
    MissAngelMissAngel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:236effda-014c-49cf-80e8-440b097afd85">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot. : Because partically paying and fully paying in are too different things. Remember other people have to pay for them only paying a portion. <strong>Plus, I don't understand the big deal if others have to get papers come in then why not everyone? Why wouldn't you require people to follow the law and get papers? Just because they can walk over.
    </strong>Posted by DFWIndian[/QUOTE]

I normally don't weigh in on this kind of stuff, but I see this point.  Because they CAN just 'walk over'.  What if we said anyone that can afford a plane ticket to come over here should be allowed to come and get the education etc... then where would we be?

Many times illegal immigrants are paid in cash = no income tax and when I'm sure they know where to shop at certain places where paying cash = no sales tax.  So actually it's a bigger portion than you think that is being missed because of not paying tax.  Plus I may pay the same property tax as my neighbor, but I have 1 dog and my neighbor has 6-7 young children (cousins, neices, nephews, or whomever).  I'm pretty sure I remember that property taxes are not based on how many children you have that are going to school.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Alrighty then.  See if you can get elected and take care of that then.   Good luck.
  • Options
    MissAngelMissAngel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:e3abc46c-1e2c-4a1a-8410-815d7e70ae3d">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ...and in the meantime tax wealthy people higher and stop giving tax breaks to people in the upper crust who are profiting off of people who work for next to nothing so they can live ten people in an apartment.
    Posted by nickandmerritt[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately people in the "upper crust" also own the larger small business that employ a lot of us and raised taxes for them = less salary for me so I would still be poor whether the rich people are less rich or not.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:71cdf2b7-8fb3-4649-bfa8-9a7db480c2f5">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Property taxes and school taxes are not the same thing.   Yes, you make one lump sum payment but there is a percentage for tax and a percentage for schools. <strong>If we treat everyone equal (kids, no kids, tons of kids, a few kids) as if they are the same burden on the school system...then everyone should be paying the same percent regardless of the size of their dwelling</strong>. We can argue this all day long, and I'm DEFINITELY not saying that I'm right.   <strong>What I am saying is that there is a huge deficit to make up and unless people are billed differently to finance schools then the education system will continue to suffer.</strong> I'm just trying to think of ways to help make up the difference without kicking the illegals out, or cutting teachers and programs. 

Ok the first part is kinda true.  Everyone in a particular district have the same percentage they are paying but it is based on your assessed value.  I know the Grapevine-Colleyville school district has the same rate for everyone of $1.29.  So if you have a 100K house you pay 1290.00 in taxes but if you have a 400K house you have to pay 5160.00.  Everyone pays the same percentage. 

I think (and I may have read this wrong) you were trying to say everyone should pay 1 amount no matter what.  I agree with you and my job would be a lot easier if that was the case.  For example everyone in GCISD should pay $X amount of dollars regardless of your home value.  Get an average and charge everyone that amount.  That is one way to think about it but I don't know if it would help the shortage at all.

I think school districts that spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on new stadiums and other things like that need to take a step back and see if athletics or education is more important.  I know Keller has passed a bond election to build a new stadium for 1.5 mil or something ridiculous like that.  What about building a not so expensive stadium and using say half of that to keep teachers jobs.  My sister is a Principal in Keller ISD and is worried she may not have a job next year.  I know a lot of teachers in the same boat.  I know personally I'd be ok with a tax increase in my sales tax, property tax, etc to help keep teachers in the schools so I know my kids are gettnig the best education I can pay for.

I think the state has options but again no one is willing to go against the majority for fear of political fail.  We need something and I agree kicking out the illegals is not the only option!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dana - That's not what I was saying at all.  If you own a home then you pay the given percent based on your value.   No issue with that.

My issue was with the apartment renters who MIGHT be paying a whopping $5 each every month from their rent toward education.    

There has to be a better way to capture that population.
  • Options
    dtay1986dtay1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:aafe1cb6-5e3e-49b7-99fc-ac214c9a8c79">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dana - That's not what I was saying at all.  If you own a home then you pay the given percent based on your value.   No issue with that. My issue was with the apartment renters who MIGHT be paying a whopping $5 each every month from their rent toward education.     There has to be a better way to capture that population.

I've been lurking & I really don't understand your argument. The property owners of apartments are paying property tax on the value of the property that is owned. They then pass on their operating expenses to their renters...which includes property tax. So renters pay property tax indirectly, but you'd like extra school tax for all people who rent??
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:988804b0-1549-4ff3-a76d-c2d43d177048">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot. : Unfortunately people in the "upper crust" also own the larger small business that employ a lot of us and raised taxes for them = less salary for me so I would still be poor whether the rich people are less rich or not.
    Posted by MissAngel[/QUOTE]

Not if your co-workers unionized, but yes, that is inevitably one of the problems with a free market economy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:aafe1cb6-5e3e-49b7-99fc-ac214c9a8c79">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dana - That's not what I was saying at all.  If you own a home then you pay the given percent based on your value.   No issue with that. My issue was with the apartment renters who MIGHT be paying a whopping $5 each every month from their rent toward education.     There has to be a better way to capture that population.

I agree there has to be a better way but let me give you another example and see if this helps any at all.  There is an apartment complex in the downtown FTW area that has property taxes due for 2010 of $322,371.99.  They will split that between all the units and it is included in the rent.  The school tax alone is $172,968.22.  That's a good chunk if you ask me. 

In the same sense the apartment complex across from my step daughters school that has a TON of kids on the free lunch program pays $197,565.47 and $105,631.50 is there school tax.  In my opinion apartment complex that are lower in rent and are near a school should have more school taxes paid because they will have more children living there using the schools.  I wish there was an easy answer to all of this!

It doesn't matter what chunk the apartments are making the renters pay it is still being paid to the school districts.  I do understand what you are trying to say but I'm trying to show you that the apartment complexes pay a lot in taxes also.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:b51c0ccb-7777-4951-8b08-bae890bd038e">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot. : I agree there has to be a better way but let me give you another example and see if this helps any at all.  There is an apartment complex in the downtown FTW area that has property taxes due for 2010 of $322,371.99.  They will split that between all the units and it is included in the rent.  The school tax alone is $172,968.22.  That's a good chunk if you ask me.  In the same sense the apartment complex across from my step daughters school that has a TON of kids on the free lunch program pays $197,565.47 and $105,631.50 is there school tax.  In my opinion apartment complex that are lower in rent and are near a school should have more school taxes paid because they will have more children living there using the schools.  I wish there was an easy answer to all of this! It doesn't matter what chunk the apartments are making the renters pay it is still being paid to the school districts.  I do understand what you are trying to say but I'm trying to show you that the apartment complexes pay a lot in taxes also.
    Posted by danac2010[/QUOTE]

Dana, why use actual numbers when you can just make up a random number like $5?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:34b56c2c-5059-4724-9365-a608f93af89e">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot. : Ok the first part is kinda true.  Everyone in a particular district have the same percentage they are paying but it is based on your assessed value.  I know the Grapevine-Colleyville school district has the same rate for everyone of $1.29.  So if you have a 100K house you pay 1290.00 in taxes but if you have a 400K house you have to pay 5160.00.  Everyone pays the same percentage.  I think (and I may have read this wrong) you were trying to say everyone should pay 1 amount no matter what.  I agree with you and my job would be a lot easier if that was the case.  For example everyone in GCISD should pay $X amount of dollars regardless of your home value.  Get an average and charge everyone that amount.  That is one way to think about it but I don't know if it would help the shortage at all.<strong> I think school districts that spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on new stadiums and other things like that need to take a step back and see if athletics or education is more important.  I know Keller has passed a bond election to build a new stadium for 1.5 mil or something ridiculous like that.  What about building a not so expensive stadium and using say half of that to keep teachers jobs. </strong> My sister is a Principal in Keller ISD and is worried she may not have a job next year.  I know a lot of teachers in the same boat.  I know personally I'd be ok with a tax increase in my sales tax, property tax, etc to help keep teachers in the schools so I know my kids are gettnig the best education I can pay for. I think the state has options but again no one is willing to go against the majority for fear of political fail.  We need something and I agree kicking out the illegals is not the only option!
    You cannot use building bonds to pay for daily operations and vice versa.  That's illegal.  Besides, have you been to Keller's old stadium?  It's a bit on the dangerous side if you're with the visitors.  Also, you can't have four/five HS's playing on one field.  And it's not just used for football:  bands practice on it, the soccer teams play their games there, etc.  They are multi-purpose athletic facilities.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Because this is what I do all day and I like numbers Tongue out
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:60082a78-7c70-4813-b95c-4a4cebbdde30">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Because this is what I do all day and I like numbers

Ha. Numbers are useful!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PS:  $1.04 is the M/O funding for GCISD.  That is at it's max.  Many districts are at that max.  The other 25 cents is for building bonds. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:5bb03e4c-d301-4927-b177-b6935032ca7d">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot. : You cannot use building bonds to pay for daily operations and vice versa.  That's illegal.  Besides, have you been to Keller's old stadium?  It's a bit on the dangerous side if you're with the visitors.  Also, you can't have four/five HS's playing on one field.  And it's not just used for football:  bands practice on it, the soccer teams play their games there, etc.  They are multi-purpose athletic facilities.
    Posted by juliebug1997[/QUOTE]

I know.  I went to Fossil Ridge.  We played at the old stadium.  I'm not saying they don't need a new stadium.  There is a "practice" stadium at Central HS and it's a nice stadium.  Why not use it and build a less expensive field for practice and then build 1 more at the new HS.  That would save a lot of money and keeps some jobs.  I was in band and I was football manager.  I know how much those fields are used.  I have been on the visitor side and yes some upgraded needs to be done.  Again I'm not saying don't do that I'm saying to just allocate funds differently.  I know they can't use buliding bonds on other things.  Why not add on to one of the other HS instead of building a whole new one down the street from another one.  Just little things like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:15aa2b52-bcb8-4224-a6b4-f23b525a46ba">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Re: Stadiums.  Again, football is one of the few programs that actually makes money for a school.  A lot of the money for athletic facilities comes from the athletic programs.  <strong>Do I think it's reasonable to build a multi-million dollar stadium in the middle of a huge budget crunch?  No.  But that money didn't come out of my paycheck and wouldn't go INTO it unless I was a coach.</strong> And Merritt, I'm pretty sure housing an inmate for life costs WAY more than executing him.  I don't agree with the death penalty, but costwise it is way more efficient.
    Posted by mrsamandamiller[/QUOTE]
    It can't fund paychecks for people currently employed for the district, but thank you!

Also, if we didn't have athletics in the schools, we'd have to hire a boat load of PE teachers because those kids would now be in PE classes and not getting their credit through athletics.  It does serve a purpose.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_informationnot-trying-stir-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:c2bf1473-a415-47f9-9bac-1148ae81b8abPost:1964a830-596d-48ed-93a0-469ca425f69d">Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Information....not trying to stir the pot. : I know.  I went to Fossil Ridge.  We played at the old stadium.  I'm not saying they don't need a new stadium.  There is a "practice" stadium at Central HS and it's a nice stadium.  Why not use it and build a less expensive field for practice and then build 1 more at the new HS.  That would save a lot of money and keeps some jobs.  I was in band and I was football manager.  I know how much those fields are used.  I have been on the visitor side and yes some upgraded needs to be done.  <strong>Again I'm not saying don't do that I'm saying to just allocate funds differently</strong>.  I know they can't use buliding bonds on other things.  Why not add on to one of the other HS instead of building a whole new one down the street from another one.  Just little things like that.

You cannot use building bond funds for M/O.  It's illegal.  You cannot reallocate in that manner.  It doesn't work that way in Texas public school funding.  Trust me.  I've been hearing it since I started working here.  You cannot pay employees with bond money.  Once you put something in a bond, you are required by law to build it or complete that project.  The district cannot have a bond election and then decide not to do those projects and send the money over to maintenance and operations.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards