Registry and Gift Forum

My shower is on Sunday!!

My bridal shower is so soon & I'm really getting nervous about it! I HATE being the center of attention, especially opening gifts (christmas, birthdays...) There will be about 30 people watching me. AHH! Does anyone else have this problem and any helpful advice?  

Re: My shower is on Sunday!!

• There were over 60 people at my shower and I was terrified leading up to it.  It's definitely overwhelming when you first walk in, but once you start opening gifts, the guests chat amongst themselves and you kind of forget that they're all there for you.  You'll be fine!
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • I felt that way about my shower, too.  It was about 30 people.  Opening gifts was a little awkward, but I got through it.  One of my aunts wanted me to wear the ribbons or whatever that tradition is, and I quietly declined 2-3 times and she got the hint.
  • You could tell your mom/BMs that you're a little nervous and maybe ask them to mingle with the guests and engage people in conversation while you are opening.  I've seen that happen at a couple of showers and it's nice because it doesn't focus all the attention on the bride the entire time.  It also avoids the collective (and annoying) "AWWWWWW!!" after every. single. present.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re:My shower is on Sunday!!:[QUOTE]You could tell your mom/BMs that you're a little nervous and maybe ask them to mingle with the guests and engage people in conversation while you are opening. nbsp;I've seen that happen at a couple of showers and it's nice because it doesn't focus all the attention on the bride the entire time. nbsp;It also avoids the collective and annoying quot;AWWWWWW!!quot; after every. single. present. Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

This is a good suggestion and would have been helpful at my own shower. I am not a shy person, I talk in front of people everyday for my job, and I have to say it was still horribly awkward to have all those ladies staring at you and watching you open gifts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is overwhelming, but remeber they are all there for you and just relax and enjoy yourself
  • lanamilolanamilo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    First off: I had a DW.
    My cousins threw the shower for me- I had no bridal party.
    I HATE being the center of attention. 

My cousins were aware of this.  They asked me before hand if I wanted any games, etc.  (NO!)  They were really great.

I live about 2000mi from where my shower was.  It was only Mom's family at the shower and they all knew I lived far away.  Most sent gifts to my house or brought gift cards.  The few gifts I got were small and packable.  The extended family can be loud and obnoxious, but they are very close to each other.  They were having such a good time talking, they weren't even paying attention to me opening gifts.  It was 100% OK by me.

One of my cousins sat by me while I opened the gifts and cards as my moral support.  She knew I wasn't comfortable and did the best she could to make me feel more at ease.

All in all it was a good experience.
  • Oh Come on!!! Its your day.. you should enjoy the attention.. Foot in mouth
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards