Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Vent and confused!

My wedding is less than two months away and my FI doesn't want to get involved in anything.  I need to register ASAP and don't really need to take him with me, but he says he wants to pick stuff too.  However, when I bring up the topic about going, he says "Not today, not this weekend...etc"  I'm really starting to stress since I need to stick the registry cards in the invitations.  I can't get him to sit down and talk about the guest list yet so I haven't send those out either.   Yikes!  I just need to vent and find out if anyone else goes through this also.

Re: Vent and confused!

• Options
    The registry cards don't go in the invitations.  Nor does anything mentioning gifts.  It comes off as being very gift grabby. 

Let your family and wedding party know where you are registered and they can spread the word if asked.  You can also put it on your wedding website if you have one.

He might be more apt to do a registry online, which most of the stores let you do.  Then you can just go to the store for things you want to see in person, like linens.  For things we added online, I just showed FI the options that I liked and he chose from those - less involved than looking through all the options, but he still got to choose.
  • Options
    Do NOT put the registry cards in the invitations.  I don't understand why you think you can register without FI's input?  The stuff is for him too!  I agree with the suggestion of registering online.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options

I agree re: not sticking the cards in the invitations.  People will figure it out themselves and you can put the information in other places like a website.  Now as far as your FI goes - mine was really bad about registering.  By the time I had my shower we had only registered for our dishes so I got 14 sets of Fiestaware (in 2 colors - thank you Macy's return policy!).  I learned from a couple married women that the secret is to find the one thing that he wants.  Most guys don't even know that you can register for stuff other than linens and dishes.  Get him to look at Amazon or REI if he's sporty.  My FI is really into cooking and I said - "I need your help with pans"  That started a three hour registry bonanaza.  Or you could offer sexual favors  in exchange for registering.  W/e works.  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Wow! This website is great! Thanks for all your input.  After typing out this message I kept on reading the blogs and realize that you don't put anything on the registry inside the invites.  I really appreciate all the feedback.  It helps to know there are other people out there going through the same things!!
  • Options
    I agree with doing the online registry for as much as you can pick that you don't want to really look at in person.  Then anything you need to fill out, make a trip to the store on your own to scan the other things you might want.  Tell him when you're going (in case he decides to join you) and if he opts not to go, that's on him.
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    I found what really helped when FI and I were registering was to ask him to hold the scanner gun (I had a list of things I wanted to remember to register for, and of course I couldn't cross things off my list and scanWink). You know boys and their toys. FI HATES shopping so being in a store for more than a half hour with him and not feeling rushed was a real bonus.
  • Options
    I think that it's really important for you to do this together. You should be learning to incorporate your two styles and a registry is the first step in merging that style for your new home. I had to talk my FI into going to register with me. I told him that it was really important to me that he come because these are things for our life together and I don't want to go pick them out with my BM's or my Mom. He finally understood that it was important to me and we had fun but they get burnt out looking at kitchen gadgets and linens. Although he did get excited over a beer glass set and a pillow that he keeps bringing up. I'm going to make sure he get's his pillow. :)

imageGraphics In a world of crazy we need as many hugs as we can get.
  • Options
    I did all the registering online, My FI really dident want anything to do with is, all he requested was a toaster oven.
    He just wants money and no boxed gifts to help out with a downpaymemt for a house. So he is all against the registry.
    But we needed to have one because not everyone wants to give money. But i think im pretty good at picking out things that he will still like so in the end i think he will enjoy sleeping in high thread count bedding. and cooking with nice pots and pans and having knifes that are sharp and so on =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards