Registry and Gift Forum
Options

tacky?

So my friend is getting married next month and I was looking at her registry and it included a TV, Dining Table, as well as some other pricey appliances.What are your thought about this?

Re: tacky?

• Options
    As long as she has a mix of price points, who cares? Maybe their parents or a group of relatives want to buy those big things for them.  What's tacky is judging your friend's registry.
  • Options
    What's tacky is judging your friend's registry.I must have missed that part of my post where I said that I personally thought it was tacky.
  • Options
    Pointing out something a friend does and asking other people if they think it is tacky falls in the judgment category for me.
  • Options
    did you ever think that maybe i was curious and asked because i might want to register for the same things or similar and was asking for the boards advice?
  • Options
    Go Cali! You tell her! I don't think you did anything wrong, don't listen to her.  Too many people come on here to attack people for no reason.I put furniture on mine, nobody has to get it for us. I also put down towels and other low cost items. As long as there is a wide range. If someone who wants to buy a more expensive gift has to buy multiple small gifts then those gifts are taken out of the option for the people who can't afford to give too much. So it is really a nice thing to do.I think tvs are a little too expensive for me to put on our registry. But whatever, every bodies situation is different.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Uh, no.  Not here to attack.  Just can't stand people who try to use etiquette to put other people down and talk about people behind their back.  It defeats the whole point of etiquette.  If you were considering it, your post would have said "would it be tacky to register for..." 
  • Options
    i have a $500 bed on my registry and a $450 dining room set. OBVIOUSLY no one is going to buy that for us but by putting it on my registry i get 10% off if i buy it in the next year.
  • Options
    thank you /cs/ks/user/default.aspx?UserName=lynlovesjoe','_blank','toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=0,menubar=0,copyhistory=0,width=990,height=700,scrollbars=1,resizable=1' )">lynlovesjoe and sooles for your opinions!
  • Options
    Not tacky at all. I actually had a few comments that I didn't have enough expensive items on mine. A lot of people like to go in on group gifts, and some guests are more generous than you might expect. Some stores have completion policies where you can buy your registry items after the wedding for a discount. Maybe they intend to buy those items for themselves at a discount.
  • Options
    I agree with Sooles.  I registered for some bigger items because of the discounts I can get post-wedding.
  • Options
    Ditto Sooles! I did the same thing with the china--instead of registering for 12 place settings, I registered for three 20-piece sets. I never thought anyone would purchase them, I did it for the 10% discount!
  • Options
    I do not personally think this is tacky at all. However, I DO think that some guests might think it's tacky.  Guests that don't understand things like group gifts or registry discounts after the wedding.  We registered for a nice vacuum and a set of pots and pans and some other larger items, and I'm sure a few guests that didn't understand probably thought "wow, she's greedy!" when they looked at my registry. I also had a ton of things on my registry for less than $20, so I figured there wasn't much more I could do.  
  • Options
    I would guess she added these items so she would get a completion discount after her wedding. Besides my family often pool money to buy a larger gift.
  • Options
    Even if no one gets it all it means is you can buy it discounted after the wedding.  I threw some things on there for that reason alone.  Like a gas grill and a snowblower(I live in Michigan).  You never know if someone or a group will get it, but if not you can buy it yourself.
  • Options
    Pooling gifts or discount incentives could be driving this. The only item I have ever been appalled at on a registry was a $200 flat iron - I thought that was incredibly tacky. But these are gifts for a home so it doesn't seem as bad ~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards